• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TT Core P5, ASUS sabertooth Z170 S, ASUS 1080 STRIX, Linux, WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Narapoid

So here's my Build, strictly for gaming and VR (Vive or rift?????)

Hardware

Thermaltake Core P5
ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S
Intel core i7 6700k skylake quadcore 91W
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2400 16GB
ASUS 1080 ROG STRIX
Crucial MX300 m.2 275GB SSD
Thermaltake RGB 850W Gold Power Supply

Cooling

EK Revo D5 PWM Pump
EK ASUS Z170S Monoblock
EK 1080 STRIX GPU Block & Backplate
FrozenQ Novacore reservoir (waited 2 months for this, disappointed with quality & will probably switch soon)
Aquacomputer 420MM Airplex Radiator
Thermaltake RGB 140MM fans x3

Problems

So I decided to cut costs on the OS & try linux out for the first time. Going Ubuntu cause its the most popular & I'm just trying to get everything running before I start messing with different version of linux. This is my first build by myself, & first watercooled computer.

Once I figured out how to get all the Air out of my radiator(waited 12 hrs for leaks too), I turned on the computer & started getting into the BIOS, had an error code about CPU fan since nothing was connected & had to disable that. I set the Sata1 to M.2 for my SSD

hooked up my disc drive & tried to Boot OS off a USB
I put the motherboard disc in & tried to run it but got a Partition configuration error message: WARNING:using suspect partition Pri[1] FS 0c: with calculated values 0-2-3 instead of 512-1-0

So thoughts on how to fix this and get things rolling? Am I going about installing the OS properly? I tried to boot from the USB drive & nothing will happen just blank screen, There is a fair bit of music on the USB, not sure if this would cause any interference. I've also not connected it to the internet yet, could that help get the proper configuration going?

Last edited:
You may need to disable Secure Boot in bios in order to use a non-Windows OS. You might want to save the Secure Boot parameters to a flash drive before deleting them in case you ever want to restore the secure boot function.

Also, if you connect your water pump wire to a CPU fan header on the motherboard you should not get a no fan error code.

Sounds like you did not configure the usb stick correctly. How did you load the is file on the usb stick? Did you make the stick bootable?

You may need to disable Secure Boot in bios in order to use a non-Windows OS. You might want to save the Secure Boot parameters to a flash drive before deleting them in case you ever want to restore the secure boot function.

Also, if you connect your water pump wire to a CPU fan header on the motherboard you should not get a no fan error code.

I did disable the secure boot feature, forgot to mention that.

the mobo has a waterpump header so I used that, the cord is stretched max though so i doubt i could get it over without moving the pump or making the cord longer.

Sounds like you did not configure the usb stick correctly. How did you load the is file on the usb stick? Did you make the stick bootable?

I just downloaded it onto the USB from ubuntu website, set the usb to hdd in bios, also tried cd/rom but that didnt work

Rufus is a nice free tool for making a bootable usb stick from an ISO.

As trents said use Rufus and get the music of of the sub stick first. You need to make the usb bootable and when you format it you well loser any data on the usb stick.

well i have launched unbutu after formating the usb. thanks for all the help

Back