• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tt Smart Case Fan A1214 Prob!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord Moreira

Banned till 9/16/03
I bought the smart case fan Thermaltake 80mm that i'm using to substitute the 7000rpm 60mm Thermaltake i had on my HS using a 60mm to 80 adapter.
the problem is the sensor isn't reading the temps right @ all!!
Even with a hair dryer blowing hot air i can't make it hit 5000rpm which it should automaticly hit under 35c.
Here are the specs...
2900rpm @ 25c
5000rpm @ 35c
46cfm @ 2900rpm
53cfm @ 5000rpm
My CPU and Case now are higher 39c and 39c under load and the fan just acts like it doesn't care :cool: @ 3000\3100rpm
1- Can i extend the wire with regular wire (same gauge)so i can put it under the HS where it could get hotter to make it speed up?
2- Can i just cut the sensor off and tie the tips togheter to make it work @ 5000rpm @ all times?
3-Does anyone have this prob with this fan?
4-Can i buy 1 of those thermal sensors from ex:digidoc (just sensor) that are flat and can go under my cpu shim and make it work with this fan?
The highest i've been able to make it spin was 4000rpm and i was sqeezing the sensor :D

Or is this fan just defective....
Very dissapointed with it so far
The fan Can be looked @ Here

OP
Lord Moreira

Lord Moreira

Banned till 9/16/03
for real?
It will run @ 5k 24\7?
then maybe i can use ony 1 3pin connector instead of 2
it comes with 1 for the speed monitoring (yellow) and another for power (red\black)
i can just get the yellow from the other 3pin and add it to the red\black 3pin right?
Why did it come with 2 anyway
:confused:
Thanks

Maximouse

Lord Moreira said:
for real?
It will run @ 5k 24\7?
then maybe i can use ony 1 3pin connector instead of 2
it comes with 1 for the speed monitoring (yellow) and another for power (red\black)
i can just get the yellow from the other 3pin and add it to the red\black 3pin right?
Why did it come with 2 anyway
:confused:
Thanks

Hook the yellow to the CPU fan header. That will monitor the fans speed.

The other 3 pin connector (black/red) plugs in to an adapter that comes with the fan. It has the 4 pin molex to hook into one of the power leads from the PSU. Dont hook the fan directly to the fan header, it draws too much power and may damage your Motherboard.

Al

OP
Lord Moreira

Lord Moreira

Banned till 9/16/03
using the 3pin fan headers of the mobo for both power and speed monitoring is bad?
My mobo has 3 and the new mobo's are starting to have even more every new model
all the fans i have can be converted to 4pin molex
Ur saying i should do that ?
By the way check this out

here
For all of those that think they are unlucky :)

Goo Kenson

Powerful fans should be pligged directly to the power supply. they take too much voltage to have running through the mobo.

Maximouse

Lord Moreira said:
using the 3pin fan headers of the mobo for both power and speed monitoring is bad?
My mobo has 3 and the new mobo's are starting to have even more every new model
all the fans i have can be converted to 4pin molex
Ur saying i should do that ?

I have one case fan powered by one of the headers on the board.

My psu fan rpms are monitored by another and my cpu fan is monitored by the third (its powered via molex)

If you have any powerful fans then use the molex.

Al

rdytorave

#2 works the best though it sounds like a leaf blower. Strip the wires just enough to twist them together. Use the power adapter that came with the fan to hook it up to the PSU. Don't use the motherboard header to power the fan. Hook the yellow connector to the motherboard to monitor the fan RPMs.

Goo Kenson

I have mine on full speed all the time. After about 10 minutes of sitting at comp I barely even notice it, I just get used to it and don't mind it at all. Besides, sound is turned up loud enough for my music :)

cwb27

I forced my case temp up to 55 degrees ones (didn't use a hair dryer, just kinda ducted the PSU air out back into an intake fan, just wanted to see what the temps would be like) My Smartfan got up to about 4850 RPM, it was at around this point I adjusted something in case, got my finger hooked on the blade... broke the blade AND cut my finger real nicely..... :rolleyes:

OP
Lord Moreira

Lord Moreira

Banned till 9/16/03
LOL :D :D
But 4850 isn't exactly 5000 now is it?
Cause in this case i can just return in and get a regular 1 speed running fan and replace this 1 without moding it and losing the warranty.
Of course it would suck to have to give back the Tt fan guard :(
It looks really good on my Rig :cry: