• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tualatin BSEL0:BSEL1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

old silicon

I am using a Soyo TISU board with a Tualatin Celeron 1.1a. The board,CPU and 512mb RAM will run perfectly stable up to 140FSB @ 1.5v 43deg. This seems to be close to the limit for the CPU.
Problem is with the TISU dropping my manual settings and loading the default 100FSB settings on a cold boot. I have read a couple of threads about this and seems to be a common occurance with the TISU board with a Celery. There is a thread in the SOYO Inel Mobo forum which says to cut the BSEL1 pin out of the Celeron to make the TISU belive it has a 133mhz PIII chip in it. I looked up the spec sheets for the Tualatin processors and found this:

BSEL1 : BSEL0 : Frequency
-------------------------------------------
0 : 0 : reserved
0 : 1 : 100MHZ
1 : 0 : reserved
1 : 1 : 133MHZ

If I remove the BSEL1 pin the board would still see BSEL1=0|BSEL0=1 which is the 100mhz right? Cutting BSEL0 would get BSEL1=0|BSEL0=0 which would be the "mystery reserved" setting. Or do I have things completely backwards?Anyone have any further info on this?

Thanks

Celemine1Gig

You have got to insulate the BSEL1 pin to make the board believe your CPU is a 133 MHz FSB chip!;)

1 means that the pin is open(no connection to any other pins)

0 means that the pin is internally connected to another pin(3,3V if I'm not mistaken)

So if you insulate or remove the BSEL1 pin, both pins will be open(that means 1:1) et voila --> 133 MHz FSB!

BUT remember, you'll have to do a vid-mod too, if your CPU isn't stable at 133 MHz FSB at default VCore!!!

OP
O

old silicon

Just a little skitish about breaking pins off my chip. Any easy but effective ways to insulate it? Will a small pice of wire insulation fit over the pin and into the ZIF socket? How about painting the pin with something nonconductive, nail polish maybee?

jazztrumpet216

Senior @ss
old silicon said:
Just a little skitish about breaking pins off my chip. Any easy but effective ways to insulate it? Will a small pice of wire insulation fit over the pin and into the ZIF socket? How about painting the pin with something nonconductive, nail polish maybee?

Painting it with nail polish remover would be the best way. Personally I wouldn't break it off either.

Celemine1Gig

You could try to paint the pin with a non-conductive coating, like nail polish(not remover), BUT believe me it's very hard to only paint one pin!!! You'll get the paint over other pins too very easily and that wouldn't be too good!

FTC

Guys, there is a method I used once to insulate a pin that is (IMHO) better : Take a piece of insulated wire ... those professional wires used to 'fix' and 'patch' circuit boards. You can see pieces of those in many consumer electronics pcb's... just choose something you're not needing any more and salvage a piece of wire... then peel it off and ver carefully 'dress up' your cpu pin with this plastic insulator. Then you've got only left to slightly enlarge the relevant hole in your socket ... this can be easily done with a metal pick... turning it around inside the hole several times.

....easy, durable, completely reversible and no risks...

Regards
FTC

OP
O

old silicon

Painted the BSEL1 pin with nail polish, dropped it back in and Voila!! Intel Celeron 133 FSB. Perfect!! The Soyo TISU now thinks it has a 133fsb chip and keeps all of my BIOS settings, memory timings, vcore, FSB, etc. As a bonus, I must have gotten better contact between CPU and HSF this time as I dropped 1 deg C.
Thanks guys.

Too bad Soyo wouldn't just release a new BIOS that would allow overclocking a Celery. Quess that would be too easy, and what would be the fun in that? hehehe