• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tualatin Mod on a MS6905 Slotket, need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mainz

I'm about to modify two MS6905 Master (Ver. 2.3) slotkets to marry a Tualatin each.
First will be a 1300/100MHz Celeron, 2nd a 1200/133/256K PIII. Both systems are IBM boards, where the BIOS does not allow any CPU settings (and MainBoardMonotor does not work).

I did much reading, also here, and ended up pretty confused.
Here are my questions:

1) I rather want to run the CPU at 1,5V for less power consumption. Any drawback? (I do not intent any overclocking.) So I just connect AM34 to AK36, right?

Further mods will be: connect AK4 to AK26 and insulate AN3, AK4 AJ3. That's it, right?

2) The MS 6905 comes with lots of jumpers. How do I set these?

J1/J4 (Overclocking Jumper): CPU define/100MHz/133MHz/Reserved ?
J3 (Single/Dual Processor Jumper): Celeron/Coppermine 256K ?
JV0-JV4 (Voltage Jumper): what effect do they have if I wire Vcore to 1,5V (by connecting AM34-AK36)???

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Mainz

jmsandrsn

1) You don't need to worry about doing the Vcore wire trick since you can just set the voltage using the jumpers on the slocket. You should probably go back and do some more reading. The Tualatin mod thread in this forums has been suggesting for many monts that you connect AK4 to AN11 (or you can connect it to any of the other pins labeled as Vtt instead of AN11)

2) overclocking jumper=CPU define, single/dual=single, Celeron/Coppermine=coppermine. Set the voltage jumper to 1.5v...don't worry about wiring the pins together.

OP
M

Mainz

Hi jmsandrsn and thanks for your reply.
Just today I did the first mod. When I first powered up, the screen stayed black.
You posting just came right in time, so I checked and set the jumper according to your advice. I also removed the wired Voltage setting and used the jumpers to adjust Vcore.
CPU back in, powered up and the baby was running!
By the way, I used a 0,1mm copper/lacquer wire for the AK4-AK26 connection: almost as flat as conductive paint, but more reliable.
Ciao
Mainz

Tipycol

jmsandrsn said:
1) You don't need to worry about doing the Vcore wire trick since you can just set the voltage using the jumpers on the slocket. You should probably go back and do some more reading. The Tualatin mod thread in this forums has been suggesting for many monts that you connect AK4 to AN11 (or you can connect it to any of the other pins labeled as Vtt instead of AN11)

2) overclocking jumper=CPU define, single/dual=single, Celeron/Coppermine=coppermine. Set the voltage jumper to 1.5v...don't worry about wiring the pins together.

Really? So I can run tualies if I just get that slotket and set it to 1.65 volts instead of getting the powerleap one?

jmsandrsn

Tipycol said:

Really? So I can run tualies if I just get that slotket and set it to 1.65 volts instead of getting the powerleap one?

It's not quite that simple. Here is the article I wrote on doing the mod: http://www.overclockers.com/tips965/

Also, if you don't want to try the mod yourself I can sell you a Celeron 1.2 @ 1.6 or Celeron 1.0A @ 1.5 with the mod already done (slocket & heatsink included).

OP
M

Mainz

Just to let you know ... I did my 2nd Tualatin-Mod, this time with a 1200/133MHz PIII Prozessor in a MS-6905 Slotket Ver. 2.3.

The system more or less booted up and always died after latest 2min of Windows (if I made it there at all).

I finally found a Q&A article by MSI about this on the German MSI site. I also looked on their US website and the HQ-site, but no mention there about the problem.

The article says, that if your system dies with a PIII in a MS-6905 Ver. 2.x than the slotket needs a 47p capacitor soldered between LINT1(L.37) and VSS(K.36).
That worked for me! My system is running stable now.
Cheers ...
Mainz