• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tuniq upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ekko

its time for me to upgrade my cpu cooler, how could i over look it with these great christmas deals..lol..im looking for a great cooler that's better then the tuniq tower i already have that's going to fit i7 also, right now I'm running 775 socket....im going to upgrade i7 dec next year..
please post your thoughts..
thanks.

Bobnova

The tuniq tower is pretty good, especially with a burlier fan.
Pretty much looking at a TRUE or Megahalems.

OP
E

Ekko

Thankyou, yes the Tuniq with the 2 high power scythe ultra kaze is amazing for cooling,
I'm in the low low 30's highly oced

now I can image where a true or melga will
put me lol.

Thanks for the frosty tip I enjoyed reading that bit...
I do however like the runner up for first place 3 rsystem ;)

OP
E

Ekko

so I've now concluded that the Megahalems are 6c cooler in comparison to my tuniq at idol
I read that i7 comparison shows megahalems running at 46c load with a massive 4.6 ghz oc and the tuniq was hitting over 80c wowzers I thought the chip would fry personally

I do however wana see a true all copper comparision to the best megahalems has to offer which I think is the anodized black version, I don't think there is a solid copper
megahalems
anyone know about any of this?
Thx

OP
E

Ekko

I just
got done modding noctua 9 blade fan lol
we made it silver with white LEDs lol
they are kind of sucky thoe in comparison to a monster scythe ultra kaze etc et

IKIKUINTHENUTZ

I just
got done modding noctua 9 blade fan lol
we made it silver with white LEDs lol
they are kind of sucky thoe in comparison to a monster scythe ultra kaze etc et

well a 25mm fan is different from a 38mm

well if you want reviews on that heatsink there's a huge discussion on it on XS
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=238622

in the thread are countless reviews and each reviewer does their own thing. Maybe find one that's similar to your set up?

Neuromancer

so I've now concluded that the Megahalems are 6c cooler in comparison to my tuniq at idol
I read that i7 comparison shows megahalems running at 46c load with a massive 4.6 ghz oc and the tuniq was hitting over 80c wowzers I thought the chip would fry personally

I do however wana see a true all copper comparision to the best megahalems has to offer which I think is the anodized black version, I don't think there is a solid copper
megahalems
anyone know about any of this?
Thx

Link and even then its not true.

I was able to get 46C load temp under water with rad hanging in hte window when the temps dropped down to 20F.

Can probably run that range at stock values as well.

Megahalem is basically it right now, if you are going to upgrade from a tuniq only go with the best. There is only a 1-2C difference between tuniq and TRUE and a couple of degrees between MEga and TRUE. So you MIGHT get 4-5C better temps with a the best air cooler available.

I have not seen reviews on the noctua or anything. But if it performs "close" to a mage halem, than its a sidegrade not an upgrade. Only reason for a sidegrade IMHO is if it saves you money or is smaller.

OP
E

Ekko

Thankyou for that
I've decided
I'm going to lap my tuniq with 600 grit down to the heat pipes
I'm sure that will make a huge difference
I need to lap my mb also
thanks again

OP
E

Ekko

600 grit will be ok to finish with right?
i heard that going above that is really not that effective..
in the mirror finish is not needed?
is it true?
im about to lap mine in 5 minutes....

Neuromancer

Yah I start with higher than 600 lol but it takes me forever to lap :)

I would not try lapping it all the way down to the heatpipes though... might mess it up terribly. Pretty sure the bottom of the heatsink is removable though if you want to do some experiments.

OP
E

Ekko

I'll have to get some 1000 grit then
I diddent know it made that big a difference

OP
E

Ekko

I've decided that I'm going to take out all heatsinks on the board nb sb all them on the board and lap them also, never lapped a CPU before should I be worried about wet sanding it?
Mi as well make a day of it and lap my 4870 and accelero s1 rev 2.
I'm sure it's going to take forever anyway to lap everything,
it's a good thing I needed to tear it all apart to build a acrylic mb tray.
Plz comment thx

Neuromancer

I would not worry about lapping hte GPU heatsinks. Chipsets and stuff... I usually just repaste them and that helps.

I ALWAYS repaste used motherboards because either

a) Stock TIM tends to suck horribly
b) Sometimes boards have been repasted by n00bs, and you have to use a **** shovel to get it all off.

My EVGA board I bought off ebay.. the TIM was on there so think I used 3 or 4 coffee filters cleaning it up. Seriously the kid must have used a whole tube, AND he completely ignored the hottest component on the board :s

OP
E

Ekko

Yea my gpu actually appeared perfect!
I just got that hs for it not long ago they looked good,
my concern was this everest is telling me that somethig that I can't figure out on my gpu is running 54c
core temp tells me my gpu is 34c and the memory is 36c
funny it must be that block hs on the end of the card
what is it the memory controler?
I don't know...
And yes first time I took apart the nb sb heat sinks on my rampage
I thought I was going to tear off the chiP lol
it was superglued on there.
I watched YouTube e where the rampage was all lapped same hs pit back on with as5 and major temp drop everywhere, 10c on the nb and so on.. The rampage has a lot of copper it should
be good
What about lappng the CPU? Water a concern?