• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

turbo angry

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff Bolton

just upgraded my memory from a stick of 512 corsair xms3000 c2 to a stick of 512 corsair xms3500. with the old stick, i once was able to overclock to 2.7 on a 3:4 memory setting. then i couldn't do it anymore (rounding errors on prime 95) so i had to settle at 2.5ghz 3:4. i'm planning on upgrading my cpu soon, but i got the memory first since prices are good.

anyways, i put the new stick in anxiously when it came in this morning, booted it up at stock speeds, and everyhting went ok. then i tried 2.7 at 3:4...no post. ok, reset cmos, 2.5 posts. inch my way up again, and when i get to 150mhz in the bios it won't post again. so i set it to 1:1, and i can boot all the way up to 2.7, but memory bandwidth sucks. so i get adventurous, set the voltage on the ram a little higher, change the memory timings a bit, set it back to 3:4, and go for 160...beeeeeeep, no post.

so i figure maybe it needs some burn in time, i'll just set it to 2.5 like i had with my pc3000. well i set it to that, starts to boot and i get a checksum error. go back and change a couple settings...boot again, blue screen. so now i'm at stock speeds, wondering why my new ram which is rated for 433 mhz can't even do 200 (3:4).

any suggestions? i'm hoping i just have a cpu that can't do much over stock (i'm selling it to a friend who won't overclock anyways).

jeff

batboy

Senior Moment
It might not be just a RAM problem. Maybe your operating system is trashed (corrupted registries). Maybe you need a tad more vcore. Maybe try relaxing the RAM timing settings a little. Double check to make sure your temps are ok.

OP
Jeff Bolton

Jeff Bolton

yeah this win2k install has been here since about october. its past time for a reinstall, i'm just waiting till after my truck gets out of the shop to see how my finances are, then i'm gonna get another hard drive and reinstall.

jeff