• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

turning off SATA hds, safe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nd4spdbh2

OK heres the deal, i have 2 80gb seagate sata hds that work no prob and i just have em sitting doing nothing, they hotswap no prob with the board in my server, just the problem is my server needs to be dead silent (due to the fact its hidden from my dad who would flip if he knew i had it on 24/7)

What i would like to do is put the hd power on a toggle switch that i can flick on and off from outside the case, do you guys for see any probs with this, the only reason i ask is becasue the sata cable will always be plugged in but i honestly dont think there will be any probs.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Are any of the mentioned hard drives the OS drive? If so, you can't just turn off the drive, Windows expects it to be available. If it isn't, BSOD with a 0x0000007B (inaccessible boot drive). Maybe you could have it spin down, but it will startup every once in awhile to write/read files.

Maybe instead you should pay for the power? Just a suggestion ;)

OP
nd4spdbh2

nd4spdbh2

Are any of the mentioned hard drives the OS drive? If so, you can't just turn off the drive, Windows expects it to be available. If it isn't, BSOD with a 0x0000007B (inaccessible boot drive). Maybe you could have it spin down, but it will startup every once in awhile to write/read files.

Maybe instead you should pay for the power? Just a suggestion ;)

no it wouldnt be os drives just storage drives, and windows hd spin down is a joke i have tried it b 4...

as for paying for the power its not that, its the principal of him thinking im wasting power... although one could see running a cs1.6 server and torrenting everynow and then could be a waste :p but i have been runnin my cs server for gosh 5 yrs now and dont plan on stoppin it ill have some ****ed off peeps.

Automata

Actually, I never hear my server or main drives spin up unless I access them. I have them spin-down after 10 minutes and they do just that, never heard one spin-up by themselves.

OP
nd4spdbh2

nd4spdbh2

Actually, I never hear my server or main drives spin up unless I access them. I have them spin-down after 10 minutes and they do just that, never heard one spin-up by themselves.

its weird it really depends on the system, but i cant have these drives spin up unless i want them to they are just too loud.

Automata

its weird it really depends on the system, but i cant have these drives spin up unless i want them to they are just too loud.
Anyway to "insulate" the noise so it doesn't get out? I moved to a Cooler Master CM690 and it has these plastic "bays" for the hard drives. I could easily hear my hard drives from my Armor case and could not (at all) hear them in the 690, it was insane.:screwy:

burningcpu

Mobo Cooking Member
lol, maybe you could hook up some small solar panel to balance out your increase in electrical consumption.