• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TV tuner card advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mictlan

Senior OC BOINC User
I just checked the followin review at Anandtech
This review is about TV & Video cards.....but which is the better TV only card (PCI). With the best decoding, cc and other goodies.

I Have A Studio PCTV Pro by Pinnacle Systems its A all around good Stereo TV Tuner.

The Tuner that has -

" the best decoding, cc and other goodies."

would be The WinTV-PVR by Hauppauge Computer Works.

I had the ATI TV tuner (Not the cheap VE which just has mono sound) and I had quite few problems with it. The tuner itself worked good but recording didn't always work right. Had a few problems with drivers. And when used for recording, sound wouldn't play and the compressed formats weren't any good so I could record like 14 minutes on 25 GB! That isn't gonna cut it. I thought about getting another one but they are surprsingly demanding of your computer. Just while watching TV I was getting a 80 - 90 percent load of my CPU. If you can find a good one please let me know. I think I wasn't doing something right.

I'd just like to say... don't take the cheap way out and get one with mono sound. I thought i could do without it, but now I regret it so much. BTW I have a Hauppauge WinTV-Go. It's ok, but only has mono sound, which I don't really like. It's also picky about which video card you use with it. I've heard the USB version is good, but I've never tried it.

i think Pinnacle better

pctv rules ;)

it's improved with new drivers (v 5.10) and beats hauppage about visual quality!

Back