• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TV Tuner replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Loopin

Registered
Hey guys/gals!

I guess I'm sort of on a roll here, every time that I post something it's some sort of crazy idea!

Anyway, Here's my newest convention.... I had a moniter that went, the tube was shot. So I tore the thing apart to examine how it worked... then I had this wonderful idea. I tore the cable that goes from the tower... the plug end .... to the moniter right out... I even kept the whole thing in tact. Now I have a full moniter cable that can be plugged into a computer... but no moniter on the end.

OK Here's my idea now. I want to take this cable and modify it so that it can be plugged into something like an AV jack on a television or vcr... or maybe mod it so that it can go right onto the cable in on a tv or vcr... you see where I'm going with this... NO MORE TV TUNER CARDS! You could use your television directly as the moniter. Now I know that it's going to be a bit fuzzy at first cuz of all the technical stuff involved, but most of the haze can be tweaked away in the settings and all that shiznit. Now... would anyone know where to start with this. I don't really know what to do here because I've never modded any computer cables before... actually, the closest I've come is taking some CAT 5 and spliced it with some more so that I could have some longer cables. I do know how to solder though.. so If I need to do that I can.

So, if anyone knows how to start this project off or has some idea of what I could or should do that would be greatly appreciated.

Mike K

Im not sure if that would work but a lot of people already are using tvs as monitors. All you need is a video out jack on your vid card or some other video capture card.

xl

I believe viewsonic makes a unit that takes this VGA input, and outputs it to a TV, and vs. I'm not sure of the clarity though.

Good Luck!

natopotato

im thinkin thats alot of tinkeren and work for a very slim chance of worken when u can juz got get cheap adapters and tv tuners all over the place............ but if u like realy big chalenges then go for it good luck u gona need it

AarontheJC

Yeah, but it's the thrill of the chase. If you've got the time for it, Loopin, go for it! Making/modding things is so much fun. I have tons of junk around here that might just get used someday...I love tinkering. I'd say give it a try, and if you don't pull it off, go out and buy one and you'll have a story.