• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tweaking Attatchment Manager in Vista Home Premium - Reg issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mayonati

Hey all,

Following my last post over in Networking, I decided after a day of bashing my head up against a brick wall and getting no-where to use my luckily well planned restore disks and revert to Vista from Win 7. Everything worked a dream, which leads me to believe that Sony just can't get their arse in gear regarding driver support :D

So, I have a Vista question.
In XP, if I wanted to stop the annoying "feature" of blocking or warning about opening downloaded files, I could run gpedit.msc and tweak the setting in the attachment manager, which would stop this.

Unfortunately I have Vista Home Premium on this laptop, which doesn't support gpedit. I heard that there is an excel file floating around somewhere with every GPedit setting and it's equivalent registry entry, as all GPedit it doing anyway is editing the reg. But I can't find it. I've also searched the reg and the couple of hints that I've found on the web have been dead ends.

Does anyone know where in the reg in Vista one might find the attachment manager settings? Or else, do you know of a setting, tweak, or 3rd party tweak program that will let me disable that message?

Thank you in advance!

Oh, whilst I'm on the subject - I've managed to disable Win Defender, Security centre, etc via services, but I still have an annnoying system tray icon - "Windows Security Alerts" - that pops up when I boot reminding me that I've disabled security centre and should turn it back on. I've managed to stop it popping up by selectively hiding it behind the "hide inactive icons" thingy, but I'd rather just remove it completely. I've checked out msconfig and it doesn't seem to be in the startup, although with the endless processes it may well be in there. Does anyone know if it's possible to get rid of this for good?

Thanks!

I assume you're referring to the "Inclusion list for low file types" setting in the Group Policy Editor? Expand the following branch in the registry...

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

Create a sub-key called Associations w/ a String value named LowRiskFileTypes, and .exe for data. Or just copy / paste this into Notepad, save it w/ a *.reg extension, then double-click it to merge it into your registry...

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]
"LowRiskFileTypes"=".exe"

And there's no reason to disable the Security Center via Services. Just leave the service enabled, but disable notifications...

Disable Security Center Popup Notifications in Windows Vista
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...-center-popup-notifications-in-windows-vista/

I assume you're referring to the "Inclusion list for low file types" setting in the Group Policy Editor? Expand the following branch in the registry...

Code:

Create a sub-key called Associations w/ a String value named LowRiskFileTypes, and .exe for data. Or just copy / paste this into Notepad, save it w/ a *.reg extension, then double-click it to merge it into your registry...

Code:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]
"LowRiskFileTypes"=".exe"

And there's no reason to disable the Security Center via Services. Just leave the service enabled, but disable notifications...

Disable Security Center Popup Notifications in Windows Vista
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...-center-popup-notifications-in-windows-vista/

That's great, thank you!
Just a couple of quick questions,
If I want to add several file types, do I enter them in data seperated with a semicolon in the same way as you do in gpedit? So ".exe;.rar;.zip" or similar?

Secondly, there are a couple of other settings that I usually like to modify - "Default trust logic" or something similar that lets you specify the system to automatically add all new files to the low security inclusion list, and, more importantly, the other setting is along the lines "Do not keep zone association" or something similar - basically it strips the "downloaded file" type status from the files so that they are mostly ignored by Windows in the first place.. I forget the exact name of it...

Any chance you could help me with these strings? Pretty pretty please? :D

EDIT: I found an image :D
http://4sysops.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/donotpreservezoneinformationinfileattachments.png
The red circled one is the one that I was talking about, "Do not preserve zone information in file attachments", and also the "Default risk for file attachments" one.

Yes, the Value data for the LowRiskFileTypes String would look the same way as in the Options field of the GP Editor, i.e. .exe;.zip;.rar

Code:

"LowRiskFileTypes"=".exe;.zip;.rar"

And I believe as far as the "Do not preserve zone information in file attachments" setting, it relates to the following registry key...

Code:

You'll need to add an Attachments sub-key, then create a new DWORD called SaveZoneInformation. I believe a Value data of 1 is a GP Editor setting of Enabled, and 2 is equal to a setting of Disabled or Not Configured.

Code:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
"SaveZoneInformation"=dword:00000001

"Default risk level for file attachments" is under the same key as "Low risk...":

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations

... except uses a DefaultFileTypeRisk DWORD w/ a default value of 6151 (Moderate). A Value data of 6152 (Hexadecimal of 1808) is Low risk.

Code:

"DefaultFileTypeRisk"=dword:00001808

Last edited:
That's awesome, thank you! Jeez, they don't make it easy, do they.. Haha, but that's awesome that you found that, thank you for the info :)

Back