• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tweaking the register 52 on the KT133A chipset.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
N

Nomis

In the front page of overclockers.com, their is an Link/article on tweaking the KT133A chipset.
My Iwill KK266-R and T-Bird 1GHz was at 38-42C idle temp, so I give it a try and It works. Now at 32C, what an improvement. There is a side effect for me though, my monitor screen is unstable due to my weak 250W power supply. I will get a new PSU. I told my friend who has an Abit KT7A and notice his is already in the right setting. From my past experiences with many different motherboard companies, I really believe Abit is the best in the bios department. My thanks to Lee Johnston ( Mr. Slick ) who wrote this article, Tom Z and staffs at overclock.com for passing this great info.

Interesting - I tried the same thing last night on my KK266, and was not able to set it to EB. The only values offered were EC or 6C(which was the default). No change in temperature using EC I am still at 40-41 idle and 42-45 under load.

Yo

Did both of you save the setting with WCPRSET and select start on startup. I also got EC when trying to change to EB and Mr. Slick said, as long as bit 7 is set to 1 which is what the E stand for. I saw EC on my friends' Abit KT7A as the default setting, so I know mine in good too. Maybe give it a second try.

Well I just tried the program..And was able to set it to EB and saved it to start up..And worked great droped my CPU Temp down 7 deg right away..
But!!!! Some how it messed with my @home internet. Would get on then i could not get on..It was like hit or miss getting on..Not sure what it did so i set it back and deleted the program, and now my internet works fine again

Wonder what happend?

More RAIN: Email from Tom Z: "Check THIS; it's about tweaking the KT133A chipset. The bottom of the page refers to register 52 being set incorrectly in BIOS. My ASUS board doesn't enable CPU idling unless you do this - I saw a 12C drop in idle temp!"

This one, you don't have to tweak the memory setting. Just set Register 52 will do. Good luck.

Nomis (Apr 04, 2001 07:16 p.m.):
Did both of you save the setting with WCPRSET and select start on startup. I also got EC when trying to change to EB and Mr. Slick said, as long as bit 7 is set to 1 which is what the E stand for. I saw EC on my friends' Abit KT7A as the default setting, so I know mine in good too. Maybe give it a second try.

I set it to EC and saved it, but it did not have an impact. I don't think it is necessary to use WCPRSET, unless you want to use the new settings automatically every time the system boots up.

Yo

I like the comment made about the ABIT boards !!

My cpu idles at the main bord temp and was set to the tweeked setting straight from the box.I am at 27c idle as is my system.

Abit KT7A
Athlon 1200 at 1400 133x10.5
Idle 27 full load 44c {alpha pal 6035}

diehrd,
The motherboard layout on the Iwill is similar to the Abit, so if it weren't for the reference by the Abit KT7A, The unrenown Iwill may not have this successful KK266, but Iwill still has a lot to learn from Abit.

Yomama, It is neccessary to use WCPRSET in order for any changes to work. First, you have to install the program and restart, then add register 52, also use EC in the data and hopefully it will work. The very first thing I did was install WCPRSET, then I edit register 52 in WPCREDIT and add register 52 to WCPRSET.

Would someone post it here if its not too big.
Seems that the site is still down after 4 days.

sparks

It might be back in the evening, just like on wednesday. You can o/c a little higher with the temp went down, definitely not waste of time.

Nomis (Apr 05, 2001 09:31 p.m.):
diehrd,
Yomama, It is neccessary to use WCPRSET in order for any changes to work. First, you have to install the program and restart, then add register 52, also use EC in the data and hopefully it will work. The very first thing I did was install WCPRSET, then I edit register 52 in WPCREDIT and add register 52 to WCPRSET.

I respectfully disagree - the WCPREDIT changes the registers. Changes are instant. You can see that when you play with the memory settings. The tweaks have immediate impact on memory throughput and may actually lock-up the system as well. WCPRSET just reloads a certain configuration of WCPREDIT. You actually have to be very careful with the use of WCPRSET, as it may lock you out of your system if your values are too agressive.

Yo

Yo

just tried it and my idle temp went from 35c to 26c in about 2 minutes.

In the VIA Hardware monitor how accurate are the voltage reports?

mine shows
vcore value 1.78
2.5v value 0.25
3.3v value 3.30
5 v value 5.03
12v value 12.01

the 2.5v value is correct?

sparks

I would say it is couse mine reads same wierd setting. 2.5v value= 0.34 while the rest read close to.

Back