• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tweaks-The Definitive Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maximus Nickus> just want to congradulate you on an amazing guide. Installed a new system and wanted to get some tweaks and I saw your thread. Very time saving :)

Gordon Airport said:
Is there a realistic way to rank these setting in terms of performance gain from turning it off?
I know it would be difficult considdering how many card property variables ther are...It might also vary depending on the program you want the gain in.

Hrm, I never got an email update for this thread.

AA makes the most difference by far, followed by ansiotopic filtering (in my experience with a gf3). AA should always make the biggest difference in performance, so turning it off is the best way to boost framerates. I also find that sometimes geometry and real time shadows stress my card very heavily.

Grande Juan said:
That's wierd, I'm not even subscribed to this thread, I must have got your notification Malakai.

It seems we figured out the problem =)

maximius nickus, i have been using your guide for doing clean formats, and even the defragging goes really fast, only takes like 3 seconds because all the files are pretty much in order off a fresh install anyways. one quetsion: for service packs (winxp sp1 for my instance) should i install that before all the chipset/video drivers or after, for getting max performance? any ideas?

I have personally found there not to be any difference in Performance loss after installing Service Packs, either before or after the other Drivers. Which is rather fortunate due to the frequency of new releases!

Of course if you are after an absolute maximum score you will probably not install any updates, as you are trying to keep your system as empty as possible.

M_N

Quote:
I also recommend running the NTFS file system for Windows XP, to change the file system of your drives requires a re-format; this can be done in Windows with exception to your main-drive. To format your main-drive to the NTFS file system simply boot off of the Windows XP CD-ROM and choose NTFS Format.

This can be done on any hard drive using the convert program.

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V] [/CvtArea:filename] [/NoSecurity] [/X]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
mount point, or volume name.
/FS:NTFS Specifies that the volume is to be converted to NTFS.
/V Specifies that Convert should be run in verbose mode.
/CvtArea:filename
Specifies a contiguous file in the root directory to be
the place holder for NTFS system files.
/NoSecurity Specifies the converted files and directories security
settings to be accessible by everyone.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid.

CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS
This would convert the C: drive from fat to Ntfs, It will require a reboot to compleat.

boostland said:
Quote:
I also recommend running the NTFS file system for Windows XP, to change the file system of your drives requires a re-format; this can be done in Windows with exception to your main-drive. To format your main-drive to the NTFS file system simply boot off of the Windows XP CD-ROM and choose NTFS Format.

This can be done on any hard drive using the convert program.

CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V] [/CvtArea:filename] [/NoSecurity] [/X]

volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
mount point, or volume name.
/FS:NTFS Specifies that the volume is to be converted to NTFS.
/V Specifies that Convert should be run in verbose mode.
/CvtArea:filename
Specifies a contiguous file in the root directory to be
the place holder for NTFS system files.
/NoSecurity Specifies the converted files and directories security
settings to be accessible by everyone.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid.

CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS
This would convert the C: drive from fat to Ntfs, It will require a reboot to compleat.

Thats a great tip, one that was unknown!
Thankyou,

M_N

That was really helpful. I had my computer run at stock with Folding going all the time for about 2 months before I overclocked. I was able to get 165FSB with just a KG7! I also overclocked my video card by about 15 percent.

Thank You,
Daniel

Hey.....Just wondering if any 1 knows of any 256meg video cards with tv out...........I need a new card.....Bad!

The only 265MB card I know for certain featuring TV-Out is the "Gainward FX PowerPack! Ultra/1600 XP 'Golden Sample' ".
Most if not all modern Video Cards have TV-Out, so I should think that most if not all of the 256MB cards will have TV-Out anyway.

thanks....do you have a link for the gainward site???I would like to buy the most recent and best card on the market....on kinda tight buget but willing to spend ....uhhhh 500-600 bucks, any thoughts ??would like to compliment my system as much as possible.........Thanx again Maximus Nickus!!

Back