• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Twenty four 6-core CPUs - Max Power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vonkaar

Hi all... long-time no visit =).

I'm installing a few Dell M1000e blade enclosures this month and I would like to stress test these for... ummm... about a week. I was thinking that this is an awful lot of folding potential, so... how should I go about doing this? I'll handle all of the hardware, ya'll suggest how I should best configure the folding client.

They all will have VSphere Enterprise+ installed, but if running as a guest VM is less efficient, I can boot to USB or an iSCSI volume if that would work better. OS? Client version? Help me obi-wans.

For those that haven't seen an M805 blade before, here's a quick pic:

m805.jpg

Two 6-core AMD Opterons... 128Gb RAM... barely 18" long :)
Initially, I'll have 6 of these blades to "stress test."

As for the rest - I'm slowly trying to work my way back into folding. I took a couple of years off, but I have a pair of i7 920s at home that I'm bringing into the fold. Will my 5870 give much PPD?

Thanks for the help =).

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
if I got this right 24x6=144 which = about 72 (two core clients)

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
Wow!!! Yeah... so long that I'm not sure many folks around here will remember you. It may be more than a couple years... I remember ya, but not sure if you'll remember me.

No worries though... VSphere will do fine. A lot of us Fold on VMWare Player.

1. Because the Linux Client is more efficient
2. Because we still want Windows
3. Because it's free

Simple directions....

1. Install your favorite Linux 64-bit distro

2. Download the latest v6.24 client: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.24beta-Linux.tgz

3. Suggest saving to the logged in users home folder. Create a sub-folder FAH or folding (whichever you like) and untar to that folder.

4. The executable is fah6 and the -configonly flag is still valid (be sure to select Big WUs).

5. After configuration to run SMP WUs use the following: ./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9

I don't know how many cores you can assign to one VM with VSphere (we can do 8 with VMWare Player) so if you can do more than 4, take the number of cores and add that number behind the -smp flag. To do 8 we use: ./fah6 -smp 8 -verbosity 9. It would be really cool to see if 12 worked. I'm not sure we've had anyone around here try it yet. :)

Now those 920s you've got... we can put them on permanent Folding duty. Stop in when you're home and we'll get those babies going too. ;)

OP
vonkaar

vonkaar

I can do 12 on Vsphere E+ =). Well, actually - it supports up to 12 cores per processor, so since the host is a dual 6core, it'll show as 12 virtual CPUS - 24 logical :cool: .

That was really helpful, Harlam. So... I can spin up a VM (per host?) of Redhat enterprise, install that client - set it to my name & t32, configure the options... and let it go to town. That sound about right?

I honestly have no idea who or what has been folding for me the past few years. I think maybe a PS3 or 2... maybe past clients have old PCs still crunching away. Nothing at home has folded for years.

{PMS}fishy

I can do 12 on Vsphere E+ =). Well, actually - it supports up to 12 cores per processor, so since the host is a dual 6core, it'll show as 12 virtual CPUS - 24 logical :cool: .

That was really helpful, Harlam. So... I can spin up a VM (per host?) of Redhat enterprise, install that client - set it to my name & t32, configure the options... and let it go to town. That sound about right?

I honestly have no idea who or what has been folding for me the past few years. I think maybe a PS3 or 2... maybe past clients have old PCs still crunching away. Nothing at home has folded for years.

Enterprise Supports 4 vCPU Enterprise Plus supports 8 vCPU. Create 1 RHEL machine, get it setup the way you want it. Power it down and clone it a bunch more times. Then all you have to do is chnage the host name and IP address and you are ready to go. I'd configure FAH after the fact, otherwise you will have the same WU on each clone, unless you either delete the work, or run the --configonly flag on the first VM.

For my vSphere VMs I run 1 or 2 more in the cluster than the total number of CPUs. So if you have for example 40 physical CPUs. I would run 6 machines with 8 vCPUs each. Making for 48 vCPUs. It helps keep the total load at 100% in case of one VM running out of work, having a hard time up/downloading work, etc.

OP
vonkaar

vonkaar

Ah, you are right - I was seeing the 6/12 cores per cpu difference. It's still just 8vcpu. Ah well, so... I should run a pair of 8vcpu VMs per host... 6 hosts... 12 vms total.

Any clue on what kind of PPD I can expect?

GIXXERGUY6

omg lets see that equipment room picture :D

When we get moved I want to get into a small rack and possibly solar power for folding. That is if I can manage to get one pc setup :(

OP
vonkaar

vonkaar

I don't even want to imagine overclocking this... entire setup (with equallogic storage) was around $250k.

but, wait... you are saying I'll potentially have 15k ppd PER VM? Holy crap. Maybe I can stall this project for - more "testing" ;) .

Bobnova

Personally, i would boot from a USB stick for native linux, and see if they'll do a pair of big advanced WUs per blade.
Failing that i'd just run three normal SMP units per blade also in native linux.

I'm not a pro folder though, they may know something i don't.

Adak

As Harlam pointed out, your best ppd will be running Linux, and folding with the SMP client, in multiple instances per blade. Whether VM or native, won't matter much for your production.

I wouldn't use a USB stick because they're too slow. SMP WU's have a lot of data.

The advantage of Linux is that you'll get a large percentage of A2 core WU's. They fold about 25% more productively than the other core's WU's that are so common with Windows.

Each machine has to qualify before it can fold the new extra large WU's. Ten being the magic number to qualify. I see no harm in qualifying and getting one or two done. Most of the week might be spent qualifying, though.

Points for the extra large WU, are high, based on a time sensitive sliding scale. My dual quad Xeon 5420 at 2.5Ghz earns about 17,000 ppd folding them, exclusively, 24/7. An i7 @ 3.6 does 15% better.

Note that if you want the extra large WU's, you have to use the drop in binary client and configure this SMP 8 client for bigWU, but NOT for advanced WU's. Odd as that sounds.

One extra large WU will use 3.7 GB of RAM, approx, running in native Ubuntu (default mode). Plan for it to have 4 GB available for it.

More info: << url >>
FAH forum info and thread:
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=10712

In a nutshell:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627195

I look forward to seeing your cheesy grin when those blades start folding away! :soda: