• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two Computers, One Keyboard and Mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnimeMania

I am thinking about putting two computer in one box. I wanted to use one keyboard and mouse to control both computers. Here is what I found so far:

Mouse: I want to use a wired mouse for gaming and then remove the wire or flip a switch to control the other computer. I found this mouse "Logitech MX Master 3 " seems good although probably not the best for gaming. Do I have any other options, I would prefer rechargeable to a regular battery.

Keyboard: I want to use a wired keyboard (prefer a full sized with a numeric pad but would consider other configurations) then remove the wire or flip a switch to control the other computer. I found this keyboard "Corsair K63 Wireless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard " seems perfect although a little hard to find. Do I have any other options, I would prefer rechargeable to a battery.
Saw this one "Kensington KP400 Bluetooth and USB Switchable Keyboard", but I didn't like that it used regular batteries.

Just get an A/B USB switch combined with a USB hub to toggle the mouse and keyboard between the two computers and use the monitor input to toggle between the two computers for the display.

I'm doing what you want to do and that is how I did it. The components are inexpensive. Run a USB cable from each of the computers to the A/B USB switch A and B ports and connect the hub to the common USB port on the switch. That way, simply by switching from port A to port B on the hub you allow one computer or the other to access the hub where the keyboard and mouse are plugged in.

Last edited:
What I was thinking of doing is putting one computer completely inside of the other computer so that none of the ports of one of the computers are accessible. I will probably need to use Bluetooth or a dongle to access the internal computer's keyboard and mouse ports and want the other computer's keyboard and mouse to be wired. Since I will hardly access the internal computer, I didn't want the clutter of two keyboards and two mice.

I don't see why what I described wouldn't work that way as long as your "box" was large enough to accommodate the A/B USB switch and the hub along with USB cables connecting the two motherboards to the A/B switch box. Of course, you might have to mount the A/B switch box on the outside of t he box or otherwise in such a way inside the box to have access to the buttons to be able to switch between the two systems. You also would need external egress for power cords and the wired keyboard and you would have to build fans into the enclosure for ventilation. Any wireless dongles could simply be plugged into the USB hub.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Comp...keywords=A/B+USB+switch&qid=1588165246&sr=8-3 together with: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Extend...hild=1&keywords=USB+hub&qid=1588165729&sr=8-4

or this sounds like it would do it with out a separate hub:
https://www.amazon.com/Selector-Com...eywords=A/B+USB+switch&qid=1588165472&sr=8-10

Last edited:
Indeed...but he also didn't mention needing video in the first place... just KB/Mouse (so two monitors, Im assuming).

Mine was just an example of what a single 'hub' solution is like. Obviously one that fits his requirements is the best purchase.... but we don't know what he needs.

Frankly, I don't understand the whole concept or why someone would put a PC inside a PC...buy a case that supports two systems inside is my take... better airflow, etc...

I guess I didn't explain it well, A picture is worth a thousand words, I was going to add a small computer inside the large computer, monitor and all.
03.Element-Pro-Side-400.png

We're getting there, bit by bit........!

1. Do you need video or simply KB/Mouse?
2. If you need video, what inputs does it have?

Once you have these questions answered, we can then help you choose a proper KVM.

Why in the world do you want to do this? What's it for?

Why would anybody buy the Snowblind computer case? Sorry to cause so much trouble since this is theoretical at the moment, but I am sure this will happen at some point.

I was planing to have the windowed potion be the front of the computer, this way all the back and front ports would be readily accessible. It is my dream, Video Bling, why have a window into your computer unless there is something to see. I would use the internal computer to display videos and monitor graphically what is going on with the computer. Surf the web and find walkthroughs for games while I am playing them. There are many dubious reasons why I would want this. I also want to try using a touchscreen monitor as a keyboard for my desktop, just because I need to know if it would work.

The inside computer would be connected to it's own monitor (shown in the red square), The main computer would have it's own monitor. I wouldn't need the video portion of the KVM, Just a mouse and a keyboard that could function both Wired + Wireless like the ones I mentioned in the first post. I was just wondering if you guys knew of any more models that could do this as well so I could have some options. The keyboard "Corsair K63 Wireless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard " seems perfect, the mouse "Logitech MX Master 3" seems good for regular computing but is probably not the best for gaming.

I really don't think a KM switch would work in this scenario. because I would want the KM switch to be right next to the keyboard and that would leave a lot of dangling cables.

The concept works, you just prefer not to have the cables there. :p

You can look into wireless KVM solutions or KVM over IP as well.

Found a few more names of mice that work both as wired and wireless, just have to confirm this is true.
Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Razer Lancehead Wireless
Razer Mamba Wireless

Back