• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two different kind of fans on a radiator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

I recently purchased the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PCMR edition and plan on installing the Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler on the back side for intake.
Would it be a problem if I used Noctua NF-F12's on the outside of the radiator and then some Corsair LL 120 ARGB fans on the inside of the radiator? The reason for me doing this is the best radiator fans on the outside to blow in and the Corsair LL's on the inside for bling and extra case airflow. I do realize they both will be running at different speeds as well. Thanks.

I recently purchased the Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PCMR edition and plan on installing the Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler on the back side for intake.
Would it be a problem if I used Noctua NF-F12's on the outside of the radiator and then some Corsair LL 120 ARGB fans on the inside of the radiator? The reason for me doing this is the best radiator fans on the outside to blow in and the Corsair LL's on the inside for bling and extra case airflow. I do realize they both will be running at different speeds as well. Thanks.

Do you need a push + pull configuration? In most cases a single set of fans will suffice. I have only 1 set of RGB fans for the bling, pulling air into my case through the radiator and my cpu temps are completely fine, even after hours of gaming.

As for running two different sets of fans at different speeds. I don’t think there will be much of a problem, as long as you don’t have 1 set at 500rpm and the other at 3000. There may be a case of the faster fans blowing air onto the slower and speeding them up. Or maybe even some very slight air pressure in between the rad fans, although that isn’t likely I don’t think.

You should be able to set the fans to the same speed? Surely off of the motherboard or controller?

The case has room on the back panel for a 2x140mm radiator? From the available pictures of the case I can find I don't see that. Can you snap a pic of the rear of the case. Available advertising pictures are lacking for that.

Ideally you shouldn't mix match fans in push/pull. With that said I've never heard of any negative effects from doing so, it's just less that optimal.

I've played around mixing and matching fans on AIOs that I have, sometimes even intentionally, but came to figure out that having the pull fan rpm slightly faster, 5-10% maybe, than the push fan, the air moves pretty efficiently at lower overall speeds, 500-800 rpm, that there is no noise with the MagLev's that I use. Temps are solid.

The case has room on the back panel for a 2x140mm radiator? From the available pictures of the case I can find I don't see that. Can you snap a pic of the rear of the case. Available advertising pictures are lacking for that.

Clearance is 50mm from the rear of the mount to the side panel. So as long as the rad is around 20mm then it should be okay. The more common config is fans in the back and rad in the front chamber, or fans in the front chamber and rad in the back. There is plenty of room however for fans in the back, rad and more fans in the front, although it might interfere with having top or bottom fans in the most forward placements.

Why not use the noctua fans hidden in the back and just place the rad in the front chamber with no fans? You can put an RGB strip on the steel between the rad and the front glass for bling, then use the corsair fans on the top or bottom fan mounts for more bling.

I'm talking about the rear of the case. It sounded like to me that OP was talking about installing a 280mm radiator on the rear of the case. That case just doesn't look tall enough to do that. I mean there is already the PSU exhaust fan hole, the PCie expansion slots, and the I/O ports panel back there. Can't imagine that unless the case is so wide from side side that a 140mm wide radiator would mount parallel to those other things on the back of the case. What am I missing here?

Many people have fit the Corsair 360 on the back panel no problem. Hardware Canucks has a really good video about multiple fan positions and really goes in to depth about it. Here it is.

I'm talking about the rear of the case. It sounded like to me that OP was talking about installing a 280mm radiator on the rear of the case. That case just doesn't look tall enough to do that. I mean there is already the PSU exhaust fan hole, the PCie expansion slots, and the I/O ports panel back there. Can't imagine that unless the case is so wide from side side that a 140mm wide radiator would mount parallel to those other things on the back of the case. What am I missing here?

I interpreted him meaning to install it in the side panel radiator mount.

Many people have fit the Corsair 360 on the back panel no problem. Hardware Canucks has a really good video about multiple fan positions and really goes in to depth about it. Here it is.

I did not see evidence from this video of mounting the radiator on the back (rear) of the case. I see possibly three mounting positions: 1. right side panel, 2. top and 3. bottom. Are we using different terms to refer to the different mounting place options? Maybe what you are calling the "back side" I would call the right side panel. I guess it depends on your your visual reference starting point. If you're looking into the case from the panel opposite the motherboard tray then the panel the motherboard tray is mounted on becomes the back or rear. If you're looking into the case with a starting visual reference point being the narrow panel opposite the expansion slots and I/O area (which is my orientation) then the expansion slots-I/O panel is the rear or back.

Last edited:
Sorry for bumping this, but maybe it could help someone else.

The short answer: There's no real difference.

The long answer: I experimented with this a bit. There are no clear conclusions, but from my experience - You won't lose performance from fan mixing, and mixed push-pull will always be better than only push or only pull. The difference is going to be in the noise. On my GPU radiator, I ran 2x Noctua NF-A14 for the last year or so. It worked fine, but eventually I realized that those fans do more noise on PULL. It's true for most pressure fans by the way. Anyway, I mixed one NF-A14 with Arctic P14 fan. Even though it's a cheaper fan than my NF-A14, it's more quiet on pull. It also has a different type of noise. NF-A14 has more of a "vacuum-ish / pressure" noise, the Arctic-P14 has more of a buzzing noise. The result is a noise profile that isn't uniform, and that's actually better, because it sounds more like white noise rather than as a distinct noise.

Back