• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two or Four modules?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cozumel

I am looking to build a new pc and I would like some information about using RAM in the 'real world'. Is there any performance advantage with using all four available banks with 2 pairs of identical RAM (DDR4)?

I just googled quickly and could not find anything on performance level comparison for new motherboards. I know that on my last build I deliberately bought 2x8GB DDR3. Now I am wondering if 4x4GB is better or equal on a new build.

Thanks

Edit: Holy Hell!! I was not expecting that to be my avatar. lol

16gb is likely fine and easier for the memory controller to run at higher speeds. New consoles are only going to have 16gb so games wont be requiring more than that for awhile.

I have been building my own rigs since Dos 5 & Windows 95. I have always needed to double the amount of RAM required for each new build. It is good that this time I can stick to 16GB and still get good performance

It will depend on what type of work you are doing. If you are only gaming I would say that 16gb is good for now and down the line you have the option of upgrading to 32gb by populating the remaining 2 slots. Also in the next year or two there will likely be motherboards out using DDR5 anyways.

Back