• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two Routers on the same ISP (BT)... but swap them over?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PanzeR1987

My landlord currently has a BT Homehub installed with a monthly usage limit of 10GB, Its never enough for me as im a very heavy user and i always go over the monthly limit.

Ive purchased a 3G Mobile Modem from the 3 ISP with a 15GB monthly usage; Its not a bad little modem when you get a good signal but its slow for downloading patches and game trials and very high on latency for online gaming.

Could i purchase my own BT Homehub? As in setup a contract for unlimited usage per month?

For example; Keep my landlords Homehub to one side if my housemates want to use it, and when they are not using it disconnect the existing Homehub from the DSL line and power and plug mine in? :shrug:

/\ if the above is possible do i have to stick with BT or could my landlord keep her contract in and i, for example get a router and a different deal with Virgin Media for instance.

Any light on the subject would be of great help lads (and ladies) :thup:

Well, speaking from the US side of the pond, the majority of the time the landlord will leave the ISP up to you, but if they have provided one, you usually have to use it. I think if you try and switch over Homehubs, BT will notice. I have a feeling they will still bill your landlord's account, as it will be the same connection to their equipment, regardless of what's in the apartment. You may even need the landlord to activate the new Homehub, which wouldn't be helpful. As for getting a different ISP for the same property, I don't think it's possible without another getting another phone line installed, unless you get the landlord onboard.
-Drew

It doesn't matter what modem you plug into the phone line, it will still have the 10GB cap as they provide your actual internet connection.

Virgin use cable rather than phone line which can be beneficial as it isn't as contended I believe. However some areas it is very slow, such as mine (Selly Oak - Student housing at Birmingham). This means they would need to install the cable line and port in your house if you don't have one already. Not sure how much this costs though...

You can change ISP, but I am sure you will need to stop BT's contract. At the moment I think the best ADSL ISPs are O2/BE Unlimited, good price and constant 13-15mbps down 1.3mbps up (O2 own BE). Virgin may be better in your area, but I know friends who pay for 50mbps and only recieve about 4mbps currently down.

Back