• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tyan 2460 only recognizing 1 CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutus1234

Wondering if someone can shed some light on this problem for me.

My original Tyan 2460 v1.00 died a few weeks ago from a melted ATX slot. I was running 2 Athlon 1.4 ghz chips in it. They had been working perfectly 24/7 for a little over 2 years and I never had to modify the L5 bridges.

So I got my replacement board and tossed it together. It's a newer board, v1.05. It recognizes both CPUs in the BIOS, but the OS (winXP) only sees 1 CPU. I tossed on a copy of Lindows and it only sees 1 cpu as well.

I do get the initial error in the BIOS telling me the CPUs are not MP chips as the old board did. I'm wonder if Tyan updated the boards not work with chips that are not modified?

These particular chips are so old they look like they have the L5 bridges closed. I'm wondering if maybe I just don't see the cut?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Brutus

aftermath

use a dmm to test the resistence of the bridges it suould be |::| (or |:::| maybe? i cant remember how meny there are) make sure that the midel ones do not conduct and the end ones do. if they are t birds then u might get the mod to work with a pencil cos they didnt have pits.

| -> conductive, : ->broken

OP
B

Brutus1234

I think these chips are actually pre T-Birds.

I've got a couple of 2000XPs modified to MPs on my MSI K7D but I only remember bridging the last pin on the L5 connectors. I double checked the guides online and they confirm that.

However I tried connecting those pins with conductive ink on these 2 chips since I wrote the original email and now the system wont post.

I did not connect the first pin as you suggested and I have not seen any guides that suggest you do. But since it's not working as is, are you sure about that first pin?

Thanks

aftermath

yep the fiirst pin is needed also on most cpu its conected already.

the barton/t-bread nad posibly the pallys looks like this usualy |::: the mobile is |:||
the reason for the mod is to make it look like an mp which is |::| as u know since uve done it.
try the other 2000+mps u didnt need to join the first as it wasnt broken. Whats the layout of the L5 bridges on your cpus?

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
L5 mod isn't necessary on TBird chips. Pre-TBird? That would be the Slot A Athlons... (maybe you're thinking of T-Bred?)

It -is- possible that Tyan has updated the BIOS to disallow use of TBird chips. I would suggest trying the modded XP2000's from your K7D that you know work successfully in SMP. If they work, then I think you're probably just out of luck on the 1.4 TBirds.

aftermath

if SickBoy is right look for and old bios do tyan keep the old ones on line?

edit : yep origonal bios found hear for the TYAN TIGER MP 2460
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/b_tg_mp.html

ftp://ftp.tyan.com/bios/2460v102.exe

flash tools.
ftp://ftp.tyan.com/bios/flash/phlash16.zip

For previous BIOS versions (below 1.05)

You must use the "phlash16 " BIOS flash utility (from link above) for Tiger MP.
You must use a Win98 DOS diskette or newer. DOS 6.22 will not work.
To flash the BIOS, type: phlash16 biosfile.rom

Last edited:
OP
B

Brutus1234

Thanks for the help everyone.

It turns out BIOS version 1.05 checks for MP compatibility. Once I downgraded to V1.04 everything came back to normal. I actually stumbled upon that before reading the replies but thanks for the suggestions.

As far as the chips go, these are PRE XP chips. It's been so long I don't remember all the designations for the different cores so they might be TBirds but I thought there was something prior to that. However I do not have the L5 bridges modified on the chips and they are working just fine. In fact the the bridges look different then anything pictured in any of the guides. If I attempt to mod them, the system won't post.

I got these 1.4 ghz chips right when they were launched and it was just a month or 2 before the XP series chips were introduced. They're oddballs I guess. I can't complain, these little guys have processed more video, and data then anyone can imagine and they have been 100% reliable.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Brutus.

OP
B

Brutus1234

You know I was always worried about that happening and I looked at the ATX connector periodically and never saw any discoloration. I had seen that article before and it got me looking at it every once in a while.

Unfortunately, I found a great deal on ebay on used PC2100 memory and I picked up 2 sticks of pc2100 ECC 256 megs and increased my mem to 1 gig. Less than a month later the connector fried. 2 years of use never killed it but less that 30 days later with the extra mem, it died.

I was expecting the replacement board to have an additional connector like the MSI but instead they gave me a small ATX extender cable with an extra 4 pin connector attacted to it. The power supply connects to the extender and you connect a 4 pin power supply to the extra tail. That all goes into the ATX connector on the board. I guess the extender must have a more robust plastic that can take the heat. It seems logical, because you can get plastics that can take over 400 C and make them in the same molds.

Only problem is that I cannot get the ATX extender to snap into the ATX connector on the board. It seems oversized. Must be an issue with molding different plastic with different shrink rates in the same mold. It's tight enough I guess, it seems to work but I would prefer if it did connect.

Thanks for the advice.

BigL

If they are t'birds then you might want to try using an older bios (pre 1.05) as the newest bios stops t'birds and durons (not the latest, see sig) from working in dual mode properly, regardless of bridges and bios settings. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps :)

BigL

Oops, how long has this thread window been open?

My reply is a bit out of date, sorry. :D

Last edited:

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
I read the solution at 2cpu.com and disagree with it completly. I have had several boards fry the ATX connector and several times I was able to witness things as it happened,First I was at 100% load folding for a extended time with a Power supply able to run 55 amps on the 5v rail. My box crashed out of the blue and I was able to reboot start folding and open my System moniter.What I found was this. The VRM 2 was at 67c and VRM 1 was at 43c this told me that the VRM 2 was eather not getting enough amps or was drawing way to many in its attempt to feed the processors demand.

So I checked line voltage and had 5.03 on my 5v rail. It then simply crashed, this all took about 3 minutes to look at . I called Tyan and explained what was going on and THEY directed me to look at the ATX connector which was melted like a marsh mellow LMAO. Now this has happened 4 times to me each time that damn VRM2 which is burried next to the processor and AGP card with no air flow at all has always had very high temps prior to this melt. Matter of fact that IS EXACTLY why processor 2 runs hotter then processor 1.

Last edited:

dagamore

diehrd,

You bring up some good points, mainly about the need for good air flow, more iimportant with 2 cpus (even more with 2 hotter running amd's(never understood why an amd will run hotter then an intel at the same wattage(but thats neither here nor there))) and you do have to keep an eye on your vrm temps (dont realy see a way to monitor that on single cpu setups) good air flow is a must, even with both of my cpus maxed out (folding) and they have been up and folding since sunday (reboot every week on sunday at noon just for grins :p) and they have not been over 50c ever.

here is a current screen shot of my temps
040104-vrm2temp.bmp

and here is how i keep them cool

P1010010.JPG

that does not mean the fix from 2cpu is a bad fix, it is one way of releaving some of the amp load that you are sending to the atx connector, and it is a very viable fix for alot of problems, with the tyan 24XX boards. When i was talking to Tyan about this fix, one of the techs said it was a good idea, and thats why the latter boards use both the p4 aux connector and or a normal d-shell connector from the psu, to get more juice to the board with out having the users use a 24 pin psu!