• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tyan Tiger s2460 5v question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

ok guys. This mite have just answered a long time question.

I bought a Tyan Tiger Mp s2460 off of ebay. Yea i know dont trust ebay, BUT i was getting an MP CPU, and 512DDR ECC RAM with it. Plus heatsink and fan.

So i get the rig assembled. Life is fine and dandy for a little while....After about a week, i start getting BSOD. it would ALWAYS say, IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. ok i changed EVERY component in that system.

I took it to a repair shop, and they told me that the CTC controller register had failed, meaning NEW MOBO TIME!. CRAP.

Ok, so i get a new mobo. I had to get a 400w PSU with it too. While i was switching mobos, i noticed that the one CPU , that came preinstalled from ebay, had ALOT of dust under it. but i was in a rush and had to have the system up and running. Also,, when i got it from ebay, there was only one CPU in it.

Also i noticed, i had nothing but troubles with the CD drives. One time i went to burn and the second it tried to burn, BSOD.

It would BSOD while trying to install windows xp. 2k it would let me install. If i managed to get to the desktop, it would work, until it would just lockup. Maybe id get the start menu to appear. But it would go completely blank.

i was totally confused and frustrated. I got my new board, put the old one in a safe box, left it under my bed.

So tonite, im reading about Darwin OS on SMP rigs. I hit this one site talking about Tyan SMP boards. I find out, that the Tyan MP chipset, runs the CPUs off of the 5V line, and that the board is stable with one cpu.

This WOULD explain why i got the board with only one CPU. Also it would explain my CDROM problems (crash when i open the drive, crash when i burn).

i was only using a 350w PSU, which was the minimum.

My gigabyte, the minimum is a 400w PSU. Its running a HECK of alot of hardware. 3hdds, 2 CDroms, 128meg vid card w. dual monitors. But im shortly going to get the dual psu mod and a larger case.

Do u guys think my tyan is still alive? Could that have been my problem all this time? Not enough power?

The reason i ask is, my bro is building a machine for 3D graphics, and a dually would be the absoloute best. And if my old board works, ill sell him my CPUs and get a pair of faster MPs.

couchpotato

I bought my Tyan and had the same initial problems as you. I scoured the web to find an answer. They have a history of burning the 5Volt pins on the Power Connector.
Get a good quality PSU for that board - there are large threads dedicated to which ones are good.
I personally am using a 400 Watt Fsp.
It is a lottery as to whether the first board is still alive - many electronic components get stressed
once the voltages have gone awry. The only way to know is to have a go.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Keep in mind that the 2460 is only rated to run CPU's up to MP2000, or so, because of its design. If you overclock your chips much, or overvolt them, then you will degrade that ATX connector and it will fry faster.

Overall, however, based on what you've said, I think you may just have a bad board. The good news is that Tyan warranties all their boards for three years. You don't have to have a receipt or anything, just call them and go through their tech support. If they can't help you fix the problem, then they should give you an RMA. I bought a used (refurbished) 2460, several years ago. It was screwed up, from day one, but I called Tyan and they issued me an RMA. Unfortunately, I had to RMA it twice, because they sent it back, still broken, the first time. After a year or so, it started acting flaky and screwing up, again. I called them and explained that this board had already been RMA-d twice and I wanted a NEW BOARD and I did not want this board to be repaired and sent back to me, again. They agreed and sent me a new board.

OP
M

MadSkillzMan

woa, thats sweet! Now, ok, i have the baord...and hte original box...no manual or anything....im not entirely sure if its 3 years old...do u think theres hope? Ill try and RMA it if possible

This is great guys. thank u.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Tyan will ask you for the serial number, I think, which is printed on the board. That will tell them how old the board is.

It's worth a shot.