• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Typing program into Start Menu does not pull up apps list

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
For the longest time I have hit the Windows Key or clicked the Start Menu icon and started to to type in the program I am looking for. Recently, it has become broken. Before I would start to type and the app suggestion would pop right up and I click and move on. Now instead it will remain in the "all" tab and I have to press the right arrow to move it over to the apps section of the Start Menu.

I have firewalled Windows quite a bit. But the firewalling and this issue didn't happen at the same time. I am wondering if an update caused this and being blocked off from the web has exasperated this.

I have looked for the answer on the web. You know how that goes. Plenty of results on how to change my Start Menu appearance but none pertaining to this issue. And that is compounded by Windows 11 results thrown into the mix.

Anyone have any insight?

Version of Win10:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎12/‎21/‎2020
OS build 19044.1645
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

Attachments

• SM.jpg
    SM.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 5
off the top of my head: all i could fear is corrupted system drive or corrupted windows install... i really hope not because i hate reinstalling everything, (especially including a new hardware requiring all new os/ software installs, too) and i can't be the only one. the only other thing i could think of would be problems with a third party start menu modifying software., but i'm guessing that you're not using any, that you're all default Win10 21h2 concerning the start menu. after all, you didn't say that you are using any, so i assume that you're not. other than my fear, i have no clue.

No software that I have installed knowingly.

Nothing else about this install shows issues.

Any idea of what keywords I can search for to help narrow results?

I'd look for 'delete windows 10 search cache' or 'rebuilding windows indexing'.

My Google foo brought me here: https://superuser.com/questions/126...s-10-search-finding-non-existent-old-programs

...although the problem in the link is different, this may help.

As far as the being not being connected to the web... at least with w11 search it won't pull web results and just pull local ones if it finds them. But to test that, disable your firewall rules.

My thought leans towards the Windows Search/Cortana being disabled. I think (strongly) that by turning Cortana off, you loose this ability. If I'm right, then I'm a big damn hero and should have a parade in my honor. Maybe not.

I started to research my own advise and I don't feel as confident as I did when I first thought of it. Keeping it just in case it helps lead to your answer.

Last edited:
My thought leans towards the Windows Search/Cortana being disabled. I think (strongly) that by turning Cortana off, you loose this ability. If I'm right, then I'm a big damn hero and should have a parade in my honor. Maybe not.

I started to research my own advise and I don't feel as confident as I did when I first thought of it. Keeping it just in case it helps lead to your answer.

I dont lose this functionality with Cortana disabled.

Cortana/search is the first thing I turn off on every Win 10 install I do.

Cortana/search is the first thing I turn off on every Win 10 install I do.
Good to know. But it still works for me if I disable the Cortana service. :)

.......enable it and see if it works, bud! Easy testing here!

2.jpg

Last edited:
Finally sitting at my computer with intentions of solving this.

Test 1 - en/disabling search - nope
Test 2 - en/disabling Cortana - nope
Test 3 - en/disabling search and Cortana - nope
Test 4 - clear cache - pending - nope

I have decided as a group we can no longer offer tech support. I am the most guilty of them all.

What fixed it?

"Reboot - Hangs head in shame"

Last edited:
Finally sitting at my computer with intentions of solving this.

Test 1 - en/disabling search - nope
Test 2 - en/disabling Cortana - nope
Test 3 - en/disabling search and Cortana - nope
Test 4 - clear cache - pending - nope

I have decided as a group we can no longer offer tech support. I am the most guilty of them all.

What fixed it?

"Reboot - Hangs head in shame"
*facepalm*

Was going to suggest installing Everything

*facepalm*

Was going to suggest installing Everything
Luckily, since it was a singular issue that was barely intrusive I wouldn't have reinstalled Win10.

I've got too many things going on to reinstall and setup programs. I would have just lived with it.

You know I still have my cup holder tray installed in this PC. It's not hooked up, I'll need to fix that LoL

Luckily, since it was a singular issue that was barely intrusive I wouldn't have reinstalled Win10.

I've got too many things going on to reinstall and setup programs. I would have just lived with it.

You know I still have my cup holder tray installed in this PC. It's not hooked up, I'll need to fix that LoL

lol, sorry, I wasn't clear -- https://www.voidtools.com/

Everything is a search replacement that many people LOVE replacing the built in search with. I just haven't bothered.

Nah, don't need another thing to muck up windows.

So glad a reboot fixed it tho lol.

Back