• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu 20.04 [email protected] not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

I updated to Ubuntu 20.04 and then went to the [email protected] download page, downloaded the .deb client and control,
but when I go to install them, I get the message, they cant be installed. Never had that happen before.
Any ideas?

OP
orion456

orion456

Thanks for the info.

Seems like way too much work compared to just reinstalling the old Ubuntu.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
It looks lengthy but its 15 minutes on a decent connection.

Maybe the Python 3?

superducky

Team 32 Folding Member
Legacy Python dependencies were still a problem for [email protected] on linux when I was setting up Daystrom Institute back about 2 years ago which is why even though it wasn't the current LTS release at the time, it's still on 18.04.

dfonda

Senior Golfer

superducky

Team 32 Folding Member
It still doesn't excuse the project's...tardiness (to put it politely) in upgrading off of Python 2.x; the deprecation was known about for a long time and we're several years past it, now. To be frank, we shouldn't have to use a community built hack to run on the current LTS release.

Not being able to boot up a live image of Ubuntu, install it, reboot and then
Code:
sudo apt-get install folding
, or the like, has always been a glaring oversight to me; there's simply no reason for it to be hard to fold on linux--quite the opposite. I think client software dev was put on the back burner (rightly) during COVID and also in the transition away from Pande lab. But if they don't start modernizing soon, they're going to have a lot of technical debt to clean up.