• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu and storage question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marineman

Registered
Hey all, to use a quote from their forums I'm greener than a seasick leprechaun so go easy on me but my spare computer is currently running XP pro and I want to make a switch to ubuntu (absolutely no experience with anything linux) I want to reformat my main drive then run only ubuntu but I have a second drive in the box that I use to store all of my downloaded apps, music etc. My main rig will remain on XP Pro until I get more comfortable with linux. Will I still be able to access all of the files on the second HDD via my network with one box running XP and the other running Ubuntu?

Thanks for the help hopefully I can get this figured out I'm interested in having more security and control over what my computer does.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
Yes, Ubuntu and other linux distros can use a program called Samba which allows for network sharing between the OS's

OP
marineman

marineman

Registered
Awesome, I'm off to start breaking the M$ chains that hold me down then. Keep an eye out for my next 100 posts asking how to get things to work lol.

Edit: I've got Ubuntu installed now and I have to say I have no idea what took me so long to make the jump. So far my experience says it's a more user friendly install (less clicks) and the platform in general seems very straight forward. I'm sure I'll continue learning new things for months or even years but for now I'm more than a little impressed.

Last edited: