• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu Installer Won't Find Hard Disk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Hello. So, i've used Ubuntu before, and liked it, but it didn't support the apps i use. Well, now i'm trying to get a HTPC set up for my mom, on the cheap. (free kinda cheap). Built the comp, fired it up, installed windows, and then ran across Boxee. i love it, mom loves it, it's simple, and she knows how to use it... problem is it runs like crap in Windows. So, i figured i'd give it a go in linux, but, problem is, Ubuntu won't find my hard drive... er... the installer won't. The Disk Utility, and Gparted both find it, but the installer won't find it, or any of the volumes on it. I've formatted it, everything i can think of,and the installer still comes up with nada... just a blank screen where the volumes should be... anyone know what to do? I've used linux a few times, and i've never had any problems... especially not like this.

I would say there is a problem with the install media.
Try grabbing a linux mint disc, or if you are set on Ubuntu get the alternative install disc
It becomes difficult to trouble shoot an installer program

I see that you have both an X58 motherboard and an SSD, and a platter storage drive- same situation as my own main rig. make sure that your SSD cable is on SATA 1 connector, and your platter drive on a higher numbered connection. In the BIOS-make sure that the SSD drive is set to be the #1 hard drive, and set to be the second boot device(after your optic drive). See what happens.

*dirty workaround*
The only other suggestion I could offer, is to unplug your platter drive, install Linux then plug it back in afterwards. But, do make sure you have the hardware layout as mentioned, to avoid grub problems later.

Last edited:
I see that you have both an X58 motherboard and an SSD, and a platter storage drive- same situation as my own main rig. make sure that your SSD cable is on SATA 1 connector, and your platter drive on a higher numbered connection. In the BIOS-make sure that the SSD drive is set to be the #1 hard drive, and set to be the second boot device(after your optic drive). See what happens.

*dirty workaround*
The only other suggestion I could offer, is to unplug your platter drive, install Linux then plug it back in afterwards. But, do make sure you have the hardware layout as mentioned, to avoid grub problems later.

It's not going onto this machine. I built a little Celeron system that's going to sit in the living room and run Boxee all day. The only hard drive is the 250GB drive in my sig (I pulled it out of this machine).

I started the Installation on my i7, and it found every hard drive/SSD EXCEPT the 250...?

And i've tried 2 different version of Ubuntu (9.10 and 10.04) and neither one will find my hard drive... does anyone know if Boxee will work on another distro of linux?

Back