• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu - is it worth the pain?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nihilus

I recently installed my new MSI 980ti Golden Edition. I am getting 650k ppd on the current working unit, but wanted to try for more. I already have vmWARE and Ubuntu installed, but can't figure out how to install the f@h client. I THINK I correctly installed the nvidia drivers.

The how-to here looks to be geared for the SMP clients. What the F*** is wine?

Thanks team!

Last time I tried installing Ubuntu in VM, I got so pissed and frusrated, I just installed Ubuntu as the main OS. WINE = Windows Emulator?

The Ubuntu install from a USB stick went smooth, and I still want to use Windows for everything else. From there, I am totally lost. Why in 2016, do I still need to type up crazy command prompts in the terminal with Linux? I downloaded the Client, and I can't even get the software manager to make it run. Looks like a lost cause.

Caddi, I will take your word on the ppd being close.

After reading through that thread of yours, I want to cut off my face.
It would need to be double the ppd to through that effort.
I will just hold what I got in Windows and overclock as needed. :)

the links open to install through the software center, the pain comes in getting the NVidia control panel and overclocking working.
we have been round and round on winblows vs Linux, use Linux only if you don't want to buy windblows to fold on, that is up to now, the release of pascal may, or may not change things.

The Ubuntu install from a USB stick went smooth, and I still want to use Windows for everything else. From there, I am totally lost. Why in 2016, do I still need to type up crazy command prompts in the terminal with Linux? I downloaded the Client, and I can't even get the software manager to make it run. Looks like a lost cause.

Welcome to Linux...where you need a PhD to troubleshoot anything!

Just drink the koolaide man...just do it!

(ducks for the incoming assaults from the Linux herd...)

I don't see any issues with linux, other than the billions of options that make the learning curve pretty steep.
for most people it can be plug and play for a 24/7 rig and if you like adventure you can find all kinds of things to play about with back in the config files.

Thanks all, but my last 9704 work unit was giving over 700k on my new 980ti running at 1450 mhz boost. Not bad for $400.

Back