• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ugh this is embarassing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brando

I offered to install a new sata hard drive on my co workers old Athlon pc that he got from a crack head for $50. The thing had an illegitimate copy of xp and it's hard drive died. Trying to be nice, I offered to help him out by putting a shiny new wd3200aaks sata drive in the thing (has 2 sata plugs) with ubuntu (which I'm new to lol) so he wouldn't have to buy windows. All he does is surf the net, watch pron, listen to music, and do open office stuff. Seemed simple enough until the bios wouldn't recognize the new hard drive. It's an Acorp 7KM400QP and apparently they went out of business before they got around to adding sata2 compatibility or something. So now what? Is there a way to make this work or do I have to tell the guy he has to pay a restocking fee for the hard drive and get another one because I'm an idiot? I'm doing this for free by the way :bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
There should be a spot to add a jumper on the drive to limit to SATA1 drive. Most boards should be able to handle it by themselves, but some cheap board need the drive to specifically tell them to work. See jumper setting 4. Also, Google tells me there may be an IRQ or some such issue with Radeon graphics cards and that hard drive.
image copy-pasted straight out of WD PDF with rectangular selection box in Okular - Linux PDF viewers FTW

Attachments

• WDjumper.png
    WDjumper.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
OP
Brando

Brando

Ok thanks for the info I didn't think of that. Right when I thought I knew what I was doing I come across something obvious I failed to realize. I started building my pc's after all of that old school non sense so I never had to deal with it. Again, thank you. I'll give it a shot! Oh yeah and it has an nvidia card.

Last edited:
OP
Brando

Brando

Tried it and no dice. Looks like Acorp went out of business for a good reason. Still appreciated.

OP
Brando

Brando

No nothing detected. I tried ide mode, raid mode, with and without the jumper, auto detect repeatedly.... I think the pci to sata2 card is the best best since newegg will charge a restock fee plus shipping anyhow so I may as well spend that loss on something to make the better drive work. I found a few on newegg for under $20 that say they work with linux.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Check the hard drive and cable in a good PC, make sure the hard drive actually works.

If it works, see if you can find a cheap PCI SATA card and see if that can be used.

OP
Brando

Brando

I'm just gonna sell it. I was donated an older (2005) 80gb wd drive that seems to be in decent shape. So far so good except when I shut down it just shows the ubuntu symbol forever and never turns off? Oh well can't argue with the price.

curtis1552

That depends on the MOBO somewhat. If it doesn't have the proper power management programs built into the mobo it won't necessarily shut off. Did it shut off automatically when he had Windows on it?

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Yeah, a lot of older mobos can't turn the computer off. Remember back in the days of 95 and 98 when you had to wait for the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" screen?

OP
Brando

Brando

Ok I guess he had the shut down problem with windows too so it's fine. i've got vlc, firefox,thunderbird, and K3B on here along with all of of the restricted extras and updates. i think we're good to go. As far as working for free i agree to a point but if it's for a friend\coworker etc i think it's best to keep money out of it so i don't feel permanently obligated. at this point i think theright answer is to not work on old systems at all.

OP
Brando

Brando

aw damm now i can't get audio cd extractor to see cd's. also, for some reason music cd's don't mount when put in the drive. i can play them manually with vlc but no autoplay. wtf lol computering is hard.