• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UHHGGG... Two more cards down.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I came home and had to do some work in the basement. I noticed that one of my rigs was off. I hit the power button and I heard a "POP"! The machine shut off then started up. This time smoke came out. The machine shut down and started up. This time it was FLAME! Fire actually came out of one of my GPUs. I'm almost shouting at myself to pull the plug! .... which I did. I pulled the card and one of the caps blew. Later I looked and it took several diods and/or resistors. One of the fans fell off. Toast.

I put the machine itself back together and it is running fine with the other two cards. But I took a moment to inspect another card that I've had my eye on. One of the fans stopped spinning so I shut that machine down and removed the card. I will fix the cooling and put it back in. Fortunately I was just given two cards so my production should level out.

Yesterday my internet was down *cough* stupid comcast *cough* and I lost a bit of production for half a day. I was really looking to get to 2 million ppd but that can not happen now.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Damn don. That's terrible luck!!!
Hopefully it wasn't one of a bigger PPD cards.

RMA time I guess! :salute:
Fold on!!

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Later I looked and it took several diods and/or resistors. One of the fans fell off. Toast.

What's a diods? sorry, the electronic tech in me has to say something about this :) you left out a "e" as in "diodes", I got what you meant anyway :thup:

OP
don256us

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
What's a diods? sorry, the electronic tech in me has to say something about this :) you left out a "e" as in "diodes", I got what you meant anyway :thup:

Whatever it is, it's burnt. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Damn don. That's terrible luck!!!
Hopefully it wasn't one of a bigger PPD cards.

RMA time I guess! :salute:
Fold on!!

My farm is built mostly on old used mining cards from fleabay. 7970's and R9-280x's. When they go, thier gone.

Nihilus

Wrong thread before.
Don, have you thought about selling your Tahiti chips? At $150 each on ebay, it might be worth selling them for a couple of GTX 980TIs.

sporktar

Wrong thread before.
Don, have you thought about selling your Tahiti chips? At $150 each on ebay, it might be worth selling them for a couple of GTX 980TIs.
Would probably save you some on electric bills as well.

OP
don256us

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Wrong thread before.

That's a good thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Would probably save you some on electric bills as well.

Also a good point.

I did fix the cooler on one card and it is back in production as of last night.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I'm now in the same boat!!!
My EVGA 780 SC died last night at 2am.. Woke up to see my mother looking at my computer and I noticed it was off when I left it folding just a few hours before. Air smelled of burnt electronics.....

Hopefully they will accept my RMA...

OP
don256us

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I'm now in the same boat!!!
My EVGA 780 SC died last night at 2am.. Woke up to see my mother looking at my computer and I noticed it was off when I left it folding just a few hours before. Air smelled of burnt electronics.....

Hopefully they will accept my RMA...

Ouch.