• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultrawide vs Dual Monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I've always used dual monitor setups, and recently 3 monitor setups (3rd monitor in portrait for page viewing-less scrolling) for work.

As I get into digital photography, and still like gaming, is there any disadvantage going with a single Ultrawide monitor for digi photography, and gaming? I never owned such a configuration, so I don' t know, what I don't know.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
For gaming, your worst case scenario is a title doesn't support your resolution so it will stretch the image.

I dont really do photography but imagine you want tomething that's at least 1440p tall so you have additional height in your workspace.

I d9kt like curved monitors and prefer working off two 2560x1440.

OP
V

Viper69

For gaming, your worst case scenario is a title doesn't support your resolution so it will stretch the image.

I dont really do photography but imagine you want tomething that's at least 1440p tall so you have additional height in your workspace.

I d9kt like curved monitors and prefer working off two 2560x1440.

Earthdog!!! Thanks for replying. I'd hope you were still around. You've always given me good advice! The bezel of the 2 monitors for gaming doesn't bother you? I don't know if I would like a curved UW. What I do know is some of them are quite long, up to 49", and I'm not sure I can see the entire monitor once it's that long!! Same for some of the smaller ones. Nothing I'm buying tomorrow, still need to build a new rig, and I'm reluctant to do that because chip prices are through the roof. I just don't know.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
I remember when gaming on dual monitor setups were all the rage. I tried it, and the bezel in the center drove me crazy. I could not get used to that huge black band splitting screen. Gave the monitors and dual monitor stand away. Decided to just get a 4k tv to use as a single monitor. Love the large single screen and never looked back. :rock:

Tried the curve screen....nope.

Jess_Bullet

Ultrawides provide more area than a single screen, but setting up side by side documents or windows is not as fast or intuitive as opening/droping/moving items across two screens.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I run 6 monitors normally, so you can guess what my suggestion is going to be.

Running a single monitor is painful, and applications or games which want to be full screen (or most of the screen) leaves you with no room for anything else. Multiple monitors let you better split up the work. Never run a single screen if you can avoid it, unless you are doing the most simple tasks on a computer.

I remember when gaming on dual monitor setups were all the rage. I tried it, and the bezel in the center drove me crazy. I could not get used to that huge black band splitting screen. Gave the monitors and dual monitor stand away. Decided to just get a 4k tv to use as a single monitor. Love the large single screen and never looked back. :rock:

Tried the curve screen....nope.
You don't have to span the monitors to use them.

Niku-Sama

huh interesting, i'm the opposite.

I mostly use one HUGE *** monitor and break it up from within it. If theres something that requires full screen then i'm probably not working on any thing else and if i'm working on multiple things i swap pretty quickly using keyboard shortcuts.
i dont/wont work from home. i'll run two systems if it comes up. currently i'll run my main system with personal stuff and job hunt and resume with my laptop but i keep them separate at all times. Sure its all my stuff but it wouldnt be different if it were a work laptop.

if you a fan of the ultra wide aspect ratio then go for it. i'm not. i currently use a 32 inch LG 1080p thing but i'm also in a transition phase in life too and hopefully i can snag a 42" C2 OLED when i can figure out where the hell i'm going to work and live