• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ummm, UUhh Ohhh...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeff_harrison_344

K i just sold one of my Computers (PIII 733), and I put my shitty stock HSF combo on it, and I noticed before I sold it to him, that when playing a game the temps get as High as 70C! But at idle its like 28C, so I was just wondering will the CPU like fry in a year or something?

is it the stock one for that chip, and did you put thermal compound between it and the cpu? If it is the one for the chip, you should be fine. If not, then I would get something better for it. That temp will fry a p3.

jeff_harrison_344 (Apr 19, 2001 03:20 p.m.):
K i just sold one of my Computers (PIII 733), and I put my shitty stock HSF combo on it, and I noticed before I sold it to him, that when playing a game the temps get as High as 70C! But at idle its like 28C, so I was just wondering will the CPU like fry in a year or something?

You actually sold it knowing this?? Yikes!!

WEll I bought another HSF for it, and it turned out that it blew, so I just gave it to that guy :)

But no there is no thermal compound.

All I am sayin is how long you think it will last at those temps.

jeff_harrison_344 (Apr 20, 2001 06:55 a.m.):
Its already sold :(

Not to be a pr*** here BUT....you've been around this place long enough to know that some type of thermal compound is necessary to keep the current crop of chips cool and what has happened to those who don't.

I'm just astounded that you have the gumption to do something like that to somebody. I'd be willing to bet that you didn't give them any kind of warranty.

Sorry jeff but I have to put this one in the "no brainer" box.
Is the any way you can send the guy some paste it may just save the machine...

I know I know, it was really a dumbass move. But see I switched from the good HSF to the shitty one a while ago, and I forgot that I had sold him the shitty one, untill of course I saw the good one sittin in ma room. So its not like I intentionally did this, bit yeah I did do it :(

even if you sold it, shouldn't you be able to get in contact with the guy, and tell him? at least ship some goop with a note to him!

"The Lottery" was one weird short story....but I don't get what it has to do with the topic...?

Hope those Millenium or "Glaciator" hsf's start shipping soon...

jeff_harrison_344 (Apr 19, 2001 03:20 p.m.):

A customer would much rather you be honest and admit your fault, than bring the system in two months from now. I have always acted honestly and been more than willing to admit faults....as would be my suggestion for you.

A moral dilemna

Jeff for 4$ hop on over to the shack and get a small 6.5g tube of compound and go to the guys house and say, "sorry forgot to give you something" 5 minutes later you'll feel better knowing his comp wont fry or give him some nice heat releated problems.

Back