• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Un-dusting!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd be abit wary of using any type of shop air compressor. Most are designed to remove moisture (water) but still contain oil to keep the compressor and tool lubricated.

A compressor used for air brushing should be both moisture and oil free.

And yes, vacuums can create a very high amount of static electricity because of the constantly moving air, but if used properly and with caution, should not pose a problem. There are vacuums specifically designed just for useage on electronic parts.

Actually, any oil that passes into the air lines is incidental and extremely minimal unless the compressor's piston rings are shot. The oil for lubricating pneumatic shop tools is added to the tool itself.

As far as water, except in unusual cases where the compressor might sit unused for very long periods of time and the tank condensation be allowed to build up, it shouldn't pose a problem. Compressors have a drain **** on the bottom of the tanks to control this. Water would only be a problem if you wre using the compressor for auto spray painting and then you would add a water filter to the line.

Some shops have auto-oilers installed in the air line. They're expensive and messy though.

Water isn't an issue generally unless they never drain the tank (bad bad practice) and/or the compressor runs for a long time before you're getting the air.
After ten minutes the atmosphere inside the tank starts getting saturated, and when the pressure drops and temp drops as the air leaves the nozzle water precipitates out.

am I the only one who just uses a brush and maybe a vacuum to get the big bunnies that collect at the corners and in the rads out?

I would think a brush would only take care of the surface dust on a radiator, especially if the plates are packed tightly together as with the TRUE. I've tried an old toothbrush on my TRUE and the bristles get stuck between the plates.

I have filters on all my air intakes.... Makes a huge difference.

I can just take them off and wash them in the sink let them dry and put them back on the case.

other wise I will use canned air or compressed air with a vacuum to suck up the dirt that is flying around.

well, I used a brush to get sand-dust off on my mainboard and pretty much every surface in my computer.. outdoor lanparties are messy for your pc. a vacuum works less well for dust that fine.. all the hair and fluff dust is easily vacuumed off the rad's and from wherever they collect (near fangrills and in some corners, etc..)

I just carefully use the air compressor out in my shop. I have a $3k filter on it for painting cars, so moisture and dirt are no problem :) . I use that baby at full pressure too, im just careful not to let the fans spool up like a turbo.

Back