• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Undead keyboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gnerma

Alright, new build with following specs...

XP 1600+
Biostar M7VIG (onboard, video, sound & lan)
128mb + 64mb of PC133
USR 56k winmodem
WD 7200rpm 20gb hdd
WIN 2K SP3

BIOS sees the keyboard, I can browse around etc no problem. When it gets to the win2k 'starting up' screen all 3 lights flash like they should, but then just turn off & I have no keyboard functionality in windows. Mouse works fine, the keyboard is PS/2. Device manager says the keyboard is working fine.

I've loaded the newest drivers (7/18/2002) same
reinstalled drivers same
tried a different keyboard same
turned 'plug & play OS' on in BIOS same
'loaded optimized defaults' in BIOS same

Next gonna flash to newest BIOS, any suggestions appreciated.

turd

Did you try pulling everything except your vid card, cpu, HD, RAM and floppy and booting and seeing what you get. I would make a guess and say you are getting an IRQ problem from your modem or sound. If that works try a dif PCI port for the modem.

OP
Gnerma

Gnerma

Thx for the reply turd. I pulled the modem & tried it out and it was the same. I've encountered another "what the hell" error in windows.. explorer crashes when I try to load an MP3, so I'm thinking I'm gonna have to wipe the drive and go from there *sigh* exactly what I did not want to do..

If anybody has any other ideas please speak up, I won't do the format until tomorrow morning..

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
Does the keyboard have an integrated USB hub? I've had trouble with a fey models drawing too much power, so when windows notices it decides to turn it off. >:|

Vovan

Its mainboard, definitely. Biostar, Acorp and friends.
Take ASUS or ABit or Gigabyte and U`ll have no more headaches!

OP
Gnerma

Gnerma

Vovan said:
Its mainboard, definitely. Biostar, Acorp and friends.
Take ASUS or ABit or Gigabyte and U`ll have no more headaches!

That is something I've considered, as I know that the mainboard isn't the best.. But I don't think that is the problem, I think it's windows since the keyboard works in BIOS.

Captain, one of them yes & it works fine.

james.miller

i had the same problem with my ps2 keyboard. just went dead when i got into windows.

the cause? it was my sidewinder pro usb pad. if i booted with it plugged in the keyboard woudnt work. if i plugged it in after i got into windows, both worked! figure that one out!!!!!

jadams

This may be a stupid question, but do you have the mouse and keyboard reversed? I am pretty sure the KB doesn't work when its plugged into the wrong ps2 port.

Just a thought:beer:

Good Luck!
Jeff.

james.miller

jadams said:
This may be a stupid question, but do you have the mouse and keyboard reversed? I am pretty sure the KB doesn't work when its plugged into the wrong ps2 port.

Just a thought:beer:

Good Luck!
Jeff.

he said it works in the bios - so no, it isnt plugged in the wrong port