• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

under $200 RAM upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
taco_fox said:
I want to upgrade my memory, but I'm not sure which way to go. Right now I'm debating between

2x256 Mushkin lvl2 PC3500 - $156
2x512 Kingston HyperX PC3000 - $200

I've heard that 256MB sticks overclock better, but since I have 512MB currently, I'm also wondering if I should upgrade to 1GB

Any advice on what I should buy?

You should stick with the same speed of ram. Edit: Go with the Mushkin Black Level 2. The main board automatically go with the slower ram

If your just looking for a 1 gig kit go with the Kingstons. Those HyperX should be BH5 from what I hear, I believ there dual channel.

Last edited:
As long as the Kingston's are the 222 Series according to the BH5 price sticky.

Mushkin my pc3200 stick's (2x256) do 225 @ 2 2 2 timing @ 2.9 vddim. All I can say is I'am satisfied.

so you guys don't think 1GB is more benificial than 512?

NoteUser: I'm not planning on keeping my current stick

taco_fox said:
so you guys don't think 1GB is more benificial than 512?

NoteUser: I'm not planning on keeping my current stick

I assume your 512 has the BH5 chip?

To tell you the truth you should stick with the same speed of ram you have other than that your better off adding the faster Mushkin.

Another 512 stick will give you a total of 1024.

Yes 1024 is better than 512 depending on what you do such as burning cd's your better off with more than 512.

What I have now isn't BH5

I've been thinking about it, and I'm kind of leaning toward just picking up some HyperX at Best Buy, since I have $50 in gift cards. I'd probably have an easier time returning it if it doesn't stack up

Adding ram is just adding ram.

The main board of the computer will go with the slower ram and there is no other option.

I don't know if your 512 has BH5 but from what I've read the ending with C2 on the product name has the BH5 chip.

The reason why you picked rams like any other OCer that has the BH5 is for a better tweaks. I believe the CH5 and BH5 should not mix.

Yes, I know all of that....

I want to upgrade to dual channel BH5 which is why I'm scrapping my current stick. I do not want to keep my current stick and add another. I like my faithful XMS, but my PC ain't big enough for the two of them. I'm not going to be mixing CH5 and BH5, and I don't really know where your comment about that came from.

taco_fox said:
Yes, I know all of that....

I want to upgrade to dual channel BH5 which is why I'm scrapping my current stick. I do not want to keep my current stick and add another. I like my faithful XMS, but my PC ain't big enough for the two of them. I'm not going to be mixing CH5 and BH5, and I don't really know where your comment about that came from.

In this case the Kingston is the way to go;)

I was thinking there could be a computer problem of speed and tweaks if your possibly 512 Ch5 was running with BH5 sticks.

hoytron's stick used Kingston re-labled DRAM chips. His memory also performed poorly on his system. But this does not mean that it wasn't Winbond BH-5 chips. Kingston has placed relabled Winbond BH-5 chips on Kingston HyperX PC3000. They also place untouched Winbond BH-5 chips. It is possible that this relabled chips may be Winbond CH-5 chips, but not necessarally. It may be an issue that involves poorly performing Winbond BH-5 chips, which may be caused by many, many seperate or combining issues.

Basically, there's no sure way to find out what hoytron got, but it's still as safe to purchase Kingston HyperX PC3000 as it was last month. Kingston will be discontinuing their HyperX PC3000, as they already discontinued their HyperX PC3200 (non-A).

There is no sure bets - as it may take alot of work to get even top-quality Mushkin memory to work right. But the best bet to get Winbond BH-5 memory (which is not miracle memory - and may not outperform CH-5 for everyone) is to purchase either Mushkin Black Level 2 PC3200 or Black Level 2 PC3500 (I would recommend PC3500 as it's price is on-par with PC3200 right now).

Back