• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Underclocking Origin Eon17-slx Duel Geforce GTX 980m (SLI) System.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imnotreallyhere

Hello Guys,

I just ordered a new laptop and it should be arriving in a few weeks. I was hoping to get some tips underclocking my system or managing power consumption. I'm looking for a happy medium between battery life and performance. So basically I am looking to maximize battery life with the least amount of performance loss possible.

I read that battery life on this system is horrible - Looking at only 2-3 hours (or less) of general use on battery. And you'll see why when you see what's in it.

Now, I have never really done a whole lot of mobile gaming, I have always been a desktop kind of guy. Nor have I really used intel or Nvidia ( always been an AMD ATI kinda guy so efficiency was never something I cared about obviously haha ). But I found I am not home as much as I used to be, but still have time to get my gaming fix in (so this is my solution). With that said, I am not sure how much freedom I'll have playing around in the BIOS. I am not even sure if there will be an options to lower the clock speeds and voltage of the CPU and GPUs. Or if there will be profiles available. This is the first time I have ever purchased a laptop for gaming.

So if anyone has any tips on finding this happy medium I am all ears. I am not going to lie, I am also trying to kill time. It seems like it is taking forever for them to ship me my system. And frankly, I am tired of drooling over youtube videos related to my new system.

Here are my specs (Copy and pasted).

Laptop Platform: EON17-SLX
Laptop Exterior: ORIGIN PC Black
Display Type: EON17-SLX 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS Matte Display with G-SYNC
Graphic Cards: Dual 8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M with G-SYNC
Processors: Intel Core i7 6700K Quad-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz TurboBoost)
Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4 2133MHz (2 X 16GB)
Operating System: MS Windows 10 Pro
Hard Drive: Crucial MX200 mSATA 500GB SATA 6Gbps (SATA III) Micron 16nm MLC NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CT500MX200SSD3
Hard Drive 2: WD 1 TB 7200 RPM
Audio: Integrated High-Definition Audio powered by Sound Blaster Xfi MB5 w/ external 7.1 support
Onboard LAN: Dual Killer™ E2400
Networking: Killer™ Wireless AC 1535 Dual Band +BT (*Killer Doubleshot Pro enabled)
SuperSpeed USB 3.0: SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports
SuperSpeed+ USB 3.1 Type-C: USB 3.1 Type-C

I can already see things that I may try. Like disabling turbo boost (not sure if that would help or not to be honest). But it sounds like it would.

I think my biggest issue would probably bee the graphics cards (200 watts :0 ). I know with desktop PC's and with AMD there is an option to simply disable SLI. But does that actually disable power to the card? Or just disable to the functionality? Those are the kind of things I don't know. I don't know if I am saving power by doing things like disabling SLI ( or Xfire). Is there still power going to the card when you do this? Or maybe under clocking the GPUs would be a better option?

Is there any software that helps with these sort of things?

Let me know what you guys think! :salute:

Last edited:
The best thing you can do is post screenshots of the BIOS once you receive the machine, then we can help guide you better.

If you feel that undervolting and underclocking via the BIOS is my only option I will do that as soon as I can.

But I do feel going into the bios and making these changes just so I can browse the web or watch a movie without my PC dying quickly seems like a lame solution...
Are there any software or applications I could use? Similar to the overclocking applications ( Like AMD overdrive) that are available. that are capable of both overclocking and underclocking?

I believe this PC is just a rebranded Sager/Clevo

P9870//www.sagernotebook.com/Gaming-Notebook-NP9870.html

This seems more mainstream if anyone has any experience with these laptops.

But I think I am screwed...Ill probably just have to disable sli and undervolt my CPU I guess. I think ntune would just be a pain in the ***.

Last edited:
You have power hungry components. That is a desktop CPU and what amounts to a couple of underclocked desktop GTX 970s in SLI.

With this type of machine (Desktop replacement with SLI) gaming on battery isn't going to happen. The battery is basically a UPS.

You can use nvidia inspector to underclock your GPUs and XTU (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility) to underclock your CPU. You can disable SLI in the properties panel.

Back