• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unexpected fix for corrupted bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

After fooling with Hackintosh builds on an ASRock H110M-HDS i5 Kaby Lake system, I found that the bios was partially corrupted. The corruption was only in the F11 hot key boot drive select menu. It was blank but when you started clicking and moving the mouse it would begin to paint, as it were, the graphics you were supposed to see in the first place. It was like filled with artifacts but the more you moved the mouse and painted the more completely the screen filled in. You could see the boot choices but not select them even at that.

I tried updating to a newer bios version which made no impact on the problem. I had this same issue in a Z270 mini itx board that I had use for a Hackintosh build. Apparently the Clover bootloader can somehow mess with the ASRock bios which is, from what I have read, implemented somewhat differently than other board manufacturers.

I applied for an RMA but while waiting for approval I disconnected all power from the board and on a whim, removed the CMOS battery for several hours. Well, what do you know! That seemed to have fixed the issue. I think that is the only time removing the CMOS battery has ever fixed any bios problems I have had down through the years and I have tried it many times and recommended it to others many times.

Just thought I would post this in case it would be helpful to someone else.

Edit: I should add that before installing the updated bios I had tried clearing the CMOS with jumper and that did not fix the issue. Also, I'm not sure that removing the battery or disconnecting the power cables from the board or both was what did the trick.

Last edited:
I disconnected all power from the board and on a whim, removed the CMOS battery for several hours. Well, what do you know! That seemed to have fixed the issue. I think that is the only time removing the CMOS battery has ever fixed any bios problems I have had down through the years and I have tried it many times and recommended it to others many times.

Just thought I would post this in case it would be helpful to someone else.

Bill Bright will be here shortly to tell you you're full of crap. :p

Back