• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uninstalling DirectX 8.1 in XP Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tecumseh

This has come up before on other sites. I seem to remember that
the latest-greatest 8.1+ can be uninstalled, but the previous
versions cannot. Don't quote me on this. Check the M$ web
site.

OP
CraxySerge

CraxySerge

The M$ site had nothing on that subject. Itried a google search, but no progs that are compatible with XP can uninstall it. There was one solution involving installing a debug version over the reatail version ov DX 8.1 and uninstalling it, but that just got rid of the debug version returning DX to its previous state.

cack01

When I installed it I think I remember reading that you CAN NOT uninstall it. b/c it ties right into the OS. You are most likely going to have to reinstall the OS. I have WIN2k, so it could be different but i doubt it since win2k and XP are family members.
wishing you luck

David

Forums Super Moderator
Direct X gets involved in and replaces many windows libraries. You cannot uninstall it, nor reinstall it or reinstall an older version. I remember when I had Windows Me, I had directX 8 which was playing up. I couldn't uninstall it, nor reinstall v7.