• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unique "Artistic" Case build. (lots of Pic's)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

Well let me start by saying that I do not expect every one to like the case I am building. I am a amateur sculptor, so much of the things I build has my unique artistic flair to it. So if you don't like it, I don't mind if you say so (and why would be nice) but PLEASE don't be rude about it.:grouphug:

This project has been gradually forming in my head for nearly 5 years. The catalyst that started the whole thing was finding an old dual blower fan in a scrap pile in a barn that was to be razed.:santa:
All though the idea of using the blower to cool a computer was there for years the idea did not become a reality until late 2008 with my first attempt to use the blower. (see this thread for details of that attempt). I used that setup for for a few months and it worked well. But for multiple reasons, I did not keep that setup. None the less it started the thinking process that has led up to this current build.

My goals "ARE" (since it is still in construction as of 12-2-09):
Fully functional case.
Low noise.
Fully filtered air flow.
Exceptional Cooling.
Low cost (the Demand of the wife:shrug:)...SO...
Use parts I have or can scavenge.
And a fun project to help clear my mind during a stressful life transition.
(will explain on request via private message)
:pics:
blower.JPG
MoBo tray.JPG
Could not resist taking this picture...that is my daughter... and the foundation for the motherboard
1.JPG
2.JPG
Current space for 6 Hard drives and 3 DVD drives and one floppy (case has room where a 2nd 6 hard drive cage could be installed later)
3.JPG
Frame completed. Since the PSU will be completely inside the case, I wired the case independent with it's own plug and master on off switch. Since the Blower is AC, it needs a relay to turn it on and off (see first blower thread ↑), that is the yellow part.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Dusnoetos

Dusnoetos

More build pictures:
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
The rack holding the drives can slide in and out. The PSU will sit on the right of the drive rack. I used an old seat belt as a henge for the door.
9.JPG
10.JPG
the back has a large removable filter that easily slides in place.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Looks like a fun build. Your daughter is very cute. Made my wife give an "awwwww". :)

jeckulz

Registered
This is SCREAMING for a ricer theme.
Would look MINT with bonnet vent from a Pulsar and a scooby rear wing :D, Paint it white with a green stripe and have half the blower sticking out with a massive cone filter and a 3" exhaust!!!

Sorry, wrong forum

Flurp

Looks like a fun build. Your daughter is very cute. Made my wife give an "awwwww". :)

2nd this... well My wife gave more of a "awww she's cute, so not all these guys are young kids with their parents money?"

looks nice :) keep up the work... so sculpting... you looked into making a fibre glass top or something to get a nice smooth top on it ?

OP
Dusnoetos

Dusnoetos

Thanks for all the comments so far.

2nd this... well My wife gave more of a "awww she's cute, so not all these guys are young kids with their parents money?"
No I am very much not a young kid living with his parents. I am 31, and happily married. ---Heck, in a few years it may be that my parents will need to live with me.

To answer one question... As for the top? The end goal will be to get a piece of Plexiglas for it on a hinge.

ANY-FOR-WHO; I am very happy with how it is turning out. Larger than my original thought :shrug: and it is going to be rather heavy.:D

Well, here are 3 more pictures that show the progress.
13.JPG
You can see that I now have the basic "shell" up.
The clear window is a piece of clear plastic that used to be part of a
lid for a cake box from a grocery store bakery
..............................................Similar to this one: cake box.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG
Here is a taste of how I am going to finish the box.

I am just starting to wonder if the single 140mm fan as an exhaust will be enough or should I add a second exhaust fan??

Last edited:
OP
Dusnoetos

Dusnoetos

Here are 2 more pictures:
16.JPG
The 120mm fan is an Antec 3 speed LED fan.
the smaller fan is a 80mm x 20mm fan that will suck the heat out from the GPU.
17.JPG

OP
Dusnoetos

Dusnoetos

Case about done!!

All that is left is panting and a few minor things (like door latches); then I will be ready to install the components. :comp:

18.JPG
Here is me and Esther playing peek-a-boo. And also a view of the bottom inside with out the hard drive/disk drive rack.
19.JPG
Here is the front with the top lid open.
20.JPG
Top down view.
21.JPG
Top lid closed.
25.JPG
Scout just had to inspect to make sure I was doing a proper job.

Last edited:
OP
Dusnoetos

Dusnoetos

23.JPG
Other side view.
24.JPG
Close up of the "front panel" the 2 yellow squares are the power and reset switches. These gave me so much trouble:mad:

The color idea is: RED with bronze accents. But that is not yet set in stone so please feel free to offer other color ideas.

OP
Dusnoetos

Dusnoetos

IT'S ALIVE!!

I decided to wait on painting the outside....mostly because my wife wanted the mess cleaned up for now. So I went ahead and installed everything.
26.JPG
I decided to replace the North-bridge heat-sink with this. It is a modified heat-sink from an old I-MAC. It works well. The white stuff is wet Tacky Glue (it dries clear) - it is there as a precaution to make sure it doesn't move if bumped. And yes I used a zip tie to hold it down.
27.JPG

28.JPG
The ducting from the Blower to CPU was not easy to make. Tried 3 other ideas before I settled on this one.

29.JPG

30.JPG

COMMENTS PLEASE! This thread has had many looks but few comments...

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
I think it's great. You did a splendid job working on a tight budget, which I very much respect (and sympathize with). It's original and looks like it should work great. How does it cool?

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
IDK man, people call me ghetto.... but damn. lol

The popsicle sticks aren't really doing it for me, neither is the tape, paper or lego pieces. If it works for you then that's great but a setup like that would drive me crazy.