• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UNIX questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ohalexis

Registered
I have some questions about the unix commands

In UNIX,

1. how to connect to a machine with a secure connection?

2. how to list all unix commands which contain the keyword "keyword" in their one line descriptions?

3. how to store output of "data" command in file WhatTimeIsIs?

4. how to run netscape as a background process?

Please give a short example of the commands

Thanks in advance

Christoph

JAPH Senior
I don't mean to be rude, but shouldn't you do your own homework? Those are all simple questions, and a little googling will find you some answers if your textbook or notes don't.
If you can't find #3, look for something about redirecting output.

XWRed1

1. This is a vague question, `ssh hostname`

2. apropos keyword

3. data > WhatTimeIsIs

4. netscape &

OP
ohalexis

ohalexis

Registered
Christoph said:
I don't mean to be rude, but shouldn't you do your own homework? Those are all simple questions, and a little googling will find you some answers if your textbook or notes don't.
If you can't find #3, look for something about redirecting output.

Well,I didn't buy any textbook for the UNIX lab,and I did some research on the Internet,but I just couldn't find anything about it.

Thanks, XWRed1 BTW.

Titan386

Well, here are some links that might help you find your answer yourself next time:
www.google.com/linux
www.justlinux.com
www.tldp.org

Those are just off the top of my head, there are countless sites on the internet with lots of information. While they are targetted at Linux, much of that stuff is applicable in UNIX as well. The answers to all the questions you asked, for example, are the same in Linux and UNIX.

You may also want to try reading some of the stickies here, and always remember to search the forums before posting a question.