• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unkown Problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BC Pneumatics

Okay, I have run into a problem with my sister's computer that I cant seem to solve, so hopefully you guys can help me out.

When you boot the machine, all the lights come one, and the fans start up like normal, only the screen acts as if it is unpluged, or getting no data.

I tried a new screen (The one I am useing now, so yes, it works), but didnt help. I tried two new graphics cards (comp uses onboard, tired 32mb PCI and 128MB AGP[Yes, the AGP card and board are both 8x]), and it did nothing.
I tested the power supply, and everything checks out, except the -5V.
There are no post codes. Tried 2 sets of speakers.

The machine apperantly didnt work when she woke up saterday, and she doesnt remember if it was off or on when she left it, or if it was off or on when she found it not working, and she didnt tell me untill today.

Also, the BIOS are onboard, so I cant pull out the chip to see, but I was thinking that maybe it was fried?

d94

$30 a phone
BC Pneumatics said:
Okay, I have run into a problem with my sister's computer that I cant seem to solve, so hopefully you guys can help me out.

When you boot the machine, all the lights come one, and the fans start up like normal, only the screen acts as if it is unpluged, or getting no data.

I tried a new screen (The one I am useing now, so yes, it works), but didnt help. I tried to new graphics cards (comp uses onboard, tired 32mb PCI and 128MB AGP[Yes, the AGP card and board are both 8x]), and it did nothing.
I tested the power supply, and everything checksw out, except the -5V.
There are no post codes. Tried 2 sets of speakers.

The machine apperantly didnt work when she woke up saterday, and she doesnt remember if it was off or on when she left it, or if it was off or on when she found it not working, and she didnt tell me untill today.

Also, the BIOS are onboard, so I cant pull out the chip to see, but I was thinking that maybe it was fried?
sounds like it.
got a board you can swap out to test? :)

OP
B

BC Pneumatics

I am looking through all my parts, but I am pretty sure that I dont have a spare 478 board, and I'm not too keen on taking the one out of this rig to test, so hopefully it doesnt come to that.

ocminimus

Did you reseat the RAM? I've had Dell's at work fuss like no other when the RAM isn't juuuust right.
As in, no display, no beeps, nothing (but system fan power etc)

mils128

umm.. did you try to reset the CMOS and see if it boots up. i have had this happen to me so many times. fans and everything but no display, usually i just reset my cmos and i am good to go.