• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocked P4 on Ebay, No bids, 1.8 ghz ES Chip.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pip

Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2002
Location
Oregon, The InteLinux State
nimrod0031 said:
intel will be up your *** if they find out you have it. I cant belive someone would try selling one on ebay

not really, they don't care that much I mean if they find out who did it they'll probly do something but they won't go seriously out of there way to find them
 

Supertrucker

Way Too Jealous Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2002
Location
Southern California
that thought just occured to me, if intels have been locked for so long, and es chips are so rare, why do all the mobo makers still offer multi adjustment? and how do they all know how to go about changing the multi?
 

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Joined
Jan 15, 2001
Location
Denver, CO
I said it won't be there long because it has been reported - don't bother trying to buy it.
 

FIZZ3

Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2002
Location
NL, Europe
Supertrucker said:
that thought just occured to me, if intels have been locked for so long, and es chips are so rare, why do all the mobo makers still offer multi adjustment? and how do they all know how to go about changing the multi?

Any mainboard must allow a range of multipliers because it must be able to accomodate a range of CPU speeds. Giving the (semi-)option to the user in the BIOS is easy because the function is there by default and also because it was probably coded more than 5 years ago, when it was still functional on retail chips as well.
The thing is that Intel CPU's themselves force a particular multiplier value, which can't be changed. That value is used by the board, but it also means that manually changing it can't be done.
 

Shane5578

Registered
Joined
Mar 3, 2003
NO NO your wasting your money

the lowest multi you can get is 12

might aswell get a 2.4c it has the same multi
 

Shane5578

Registered
Joined
Mar 3, 2003
FIZZ3 said:


Any mainboard must allow a range of multipliers because it must be able to accomodate a range of CPU speeds. Giving the (semi-)option to the user in the BIOS is easy because the function is there by default and also because it was probably coded more than 5 years ago, when it was still functional on retail chips as well.
The thing is that Intel CPU's themselves force a particular multiplier value, which can't be changed. That value is used by the board, but it also means that manually changing it can't be done.

but there's still mobos which you can't adjust the multi, like intel mobo's
 

FIZZ3

Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2002
Location
NL, Europe
Shane5578 said:


but there's still mobos which you can't adjust the multi, like intel mobo's

Yes of course, Intel has had good reason not to let users adjust the muli, namely that it stops them from running the CPU's out of spec and to hinder resellers relabeling CPU's and run them easily and secretly overclocked.

For almost all other mainboard makers, these issues are less relevant, except maybe for 'political' reasons.
 

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Joined
Jan 15, 2001
Location
Denver, CO
Nah it's not fake - got this from an intel contact today:

-----Original Message-----
From: Anderson, Clifford R [mailto:mad:intel.com]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 7:18 PM
To: Tim Cole
Subject: RE: eBay item 2727527374 - INTEL P4 1.8GHZ CPU, S423,U


Thanks Tim... Looks like this guy has been fairly active... We'll look into it and retrieve the piece from the buyer.

Take care,
Cliff

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Cole [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 8:41 PM
To: Anderson, Clifford R
Subject: eBay item 2727527374 - INTEL P4 1.8GHZ CPU, S423,U

<< File: eBay item 2727527374 (Ends May-08-03 211819 PDT ) - INTEL P4 1.8GHZ CPU, S423,UNLOCKED.url >>


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2727527374&category=14292
 

SmokinR6

Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2003
Location
Jerzey
TC said:
Nah it's not fake - got this from an intel contact today:

-----Original Message-----
From: Anderson, Clifford R [mailto:mad:intel.com]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 7:18 PM
To: Tim Cole
Subject: RE: eBay item 2727527374 - INTEL P4 1.8GHZ CPU, S423,U


Thanks Tim... Looks like this guy has been fairly active... We'll look into it and retrieve the piece from the buyer.

Take care,
Cliff

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Cole [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 8:41 PM
To: Anderson, Clifford R
Subject: eBay item 2727527374 - INTEL P4 1.8GHZ CPU, S423,U

<< File: eBay item 2727527374 (Ends May-08-03 211819 PDT ) - INTEL P4 1.8GHZ CPU, S423,UNLOCKED.url >>


http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2727527374&category=14292

So Now TC if all this is true....you will be watched....Intel doesn't give their boards OC options cause they don't want people to overclock...are you a noob? why would they give the option of running a 100.00 chip at the same speed as a 400.00 chip? Can you see this? Not saying theses are the prices...Im giving an example.
 

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Joined
Jan 15, 2001
Location
Denver, CO
I'm not being watched - I have a legal obligation to report ES chips being improperly distributed. I try to prevent people from getting involved with them to save them a major headache.