• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocked Xeon's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

danby1

What would be a fair price to pay for a unlocked pair of P4 2.6GHz, 512KB Advanced Transfer Cache, Xeon processors?

On the core it says INTEL CONFIDENTIAL and 4226A969 and on the back 80532KC064512 and QML7 ES COSTA RICA. What exactly does INTEL CONFIDENTIAL mean?

I'm looking to buy these processors, but don't know what a fair price would be. I'm new to this hobby and I need all the help I can get.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
Welcome to the Forums

It would be illigal to sell and to buy these processors.. These processors are Intel Engineering Sample's and the NDA ( non disclosure agreement ) prevents the person who has them from selling them, passing them on, or giving them away.

Intel have been known to go after their intelectual property with any means available to them. I also believe that the NDA state that you never actually own Engineering Samples and in fact they remain the propertys of Intel Corp

Intel however have been known to be generous to people who return these processors or make them aware of places and people attempting to sell them.

OP
D

danby1

How

Thanks for the reply.

The person that is selling wont tell me how he got them. So how would anyone be able to get them from Intel?

Thanks
Mike

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
The legal way I would assume is as a 'Development' Engineer.. Companys such as mobo producers often get Enginerring samples as they will allow the company to develop motherboard products to support a wide range of processors and speeds.

The other way is to obviously obtain one illigally such as buying it from a classifieds or auction site.

Personally speaking if I had a pair of 'retail' 2.6 ghz Xeons let alone Engineering samples, they would not be for sale, what reason would you have to sell them.. what are you going to upgrade to ?... I would personally be very very suspect of dealing with this person, considering that they will not tell you how the processors came into their possession (Illigally Obtained Perhaps ??) .. and that selling them or giving them away breaks the NDA.. The obvious question would be can you 'trust' this person or the goods being offered ?

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
BTW it is the 'ES' mark on the processor which denotes Engineering Sample and you never actually own these processors, they remain the property of Intel and they have the right to ask for them back.

Why pay for something you do not own ?

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
hmm... last time i heard, people who are given engineering samples are allowed to distribute them after 2 years i believe. i haven't read the nda that intel has for the es processors, but that's what i remember reading from somebody who works for intel on here...

2 years seems about right cause the processor would be decently outdated by then...

i am sure there is some more specific rules than that though... just a rough memory :D

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
just a guess but I dont think P4 Xeon's existed 2 years ago. He's is very likely breaking the rules. andd would be a no-no to buy them from him. I would do as Cereal said and turn him in, who knows, they might give you a reward or something :D

(proly wont be paired Xeon's but atleast it would be legal)