• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unlocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyranos

you don't have to unlock a cpu to be able to enable a 166 fsb speed do you? system in sig.

Tyranos said:
you don't have to unlock a cpu to be able to enable a 166 fsb speed do you? system in sig.

No, but it doesnt mean you can do it though. You have a locked multiplier of 11. Upping the front side bus to 166mhz means your gonna run 11x166 =1826mhz which you chip probly cant handle. Unlocking isnt that hard if you have the right tools and its well worth the effort.

Here are some good articles on how to unlock your chip.

Tom's Hardware - Video
3dVelocity
AMD Power
3dExtreme

Edit: You can always run the memory asynchronous (133/166) from the cpu fsb but that would be pointless since it wouldnt offer any real improvements, what you want to do is them synchronously (166/166).

Ok just checking.. I've unlocked this aroia 9 already.. must be something else that won't let it boot at 166fsb

Tyranos said:
Ok just checking.. I've unlocked this aroia 9 already.. must be something else that won't let it boot at 166fsb

Your ram might and probably is the cause. I got mine to boot at 160mhz and ran prime95 stable for 12 hours but at 166mhz it runs prime95 for about 5 mins then produces an error.

definitely the ram
you should be using good 2700 ram at least to try for 166fsb
especially if you want to use aggressive timings

Back