• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unnecessary Driver Updates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
Went to the ATI site yesterday to see what I could find. And lo and behold, there's a new driver. I said "Self, that looks good . . ." Read through the thing and it said that it raised performance a whole lot in some games. Of course there's a disclaimer that says "unnecessary driver updates are not recommended". I think to myself, "my computer feels sort of sluggish in games, so I should at least give it a try, right, self?" So self persuades me to do it, (stupid self), and I turn off the computer for the night instead of rebooting. I turned it on just now and BAM!, ut just won't work. never boots. I choose "Last known good configuration" and all works fine, but boy am I peeved.

Z

funnyperson1

did you uninstall the old ones first? and you did dl the Cat 4s right not the DX9 drivers?

OP
zachj

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
It didn't give me any options like that. It's the standard "select your OS, select your hardware" thing. It then gives you the available downloads. And I was very much under the impression that all of their drivers were bundled into the same download, because one download update the original Radeon all the way through the 9700Pro. I didn't think it would install DirectX9 drivers if I didn't have it. If it did, though, that would explain why I had problems.

Z

funnyperson1

ah well you first have to uninstall the old drivers and then install new ones...it actually says this when the driver install first starts......i tried those drivers, i think most of the fixes were for 9700s and they were a little slower so i went back to the cat 2.3s