• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unsupported CPU Multiplier...what would happen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edward2

I was just wondering what would happen if you put a CPU in a motherboard which does not support the CPU multiplier? Would the setup run anyway?

I would like to put a Celeron 1.4 Tualatin (x14) into my VH6T mobo, but all the documentation I can find says that the VH6T only supports up to x13 multiplier. Any ideas?

Thanks.

nodsetse

Every time I've been in that situation, there were no issues, the system ran using the locked multiplier of the CPU. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the opposite? Regardless, since your mobo supports Tualatin, I certainly don't think it would cause any damage, and it's very probable it'd work without any problem. :)

Tipycol

Edward2 said:
I was just wondering what would happen if you put a CPU in a motherboard which does not support the CPU multiplier? Would the setup run anyway?

I would like to put a Celeron 1.4 Tualatin (x14) into my VH6T mobo, but all the documentation I can find says that the VH6T only supports up to x13 multiplier. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Think it would work fine as long as it's not unlocked(engineering sample). Since the multiplier is on the chip and not the board, it doesn't matter if the board has a setting for it or not. Now if it were unlocked, you might have some problems, but then again, you'd probably get a better overclock.

Tipycol

OP
Edward2

Edward2

Tipycol, I have a question about the PIII [email protected] in your sig. You mention that there is no 1/4 divider on the AX6BC. I use to have one of these boards and it did have a 1/4 divider for the PCI bus. It did not have a 1/2 divider for the AGP bus. I never tried this, but I would think that you could use a PCI video card and run the FSB on up to 150 MHz (I think it went that high).

Tipycol

Edward2 said:
Tipycol, I have a question about the PIII [email protected] in your sig. You mention that there is no 1/4 divider on the AX6BC. I use to have one of these boards and it did have a 1/4 divider for the PCI bus. It did not have a 1/2 divider for the AGP bus. I never tried this, but I would think that you could use a PCI video card and run the FSB on up to 150 MHz (I think it went that high).

Well, I am pretty sure mine has no option in the bios for a 4th divider. And my board will only go to a max of 133fsb, when I set it higher it just reverts to a lower setting.

Thanks for the help though

Tipycol

OP
Edward2

Edward2

Now I remember. I was using CPUFSB to change the FSB. The options were something like: 100, 112, 122/41, 122/30.5, etc. Of course, the 122/41 was a 1/3 divider and the 122/30.5 was a 1/4 divider. But oh well.

Tipycol

Edward2 said:
Now I remember. I was using CPUFSB to change the FSB. The options were something like: 100, 112, 122/41, 122/30.5, etc. Of course, the 122/41 was a 1/3 divider and the 122/30.5 was a 1/4 divider. But oh well.

Well you've probably had a different model than mine. Cause in the bios I have the option for 117/39 117/29, but when I set it to either 117, my actual processor speed becomes 334MHz :(
Oh well, just plan to move this setup into the family computer and get me a nice nForce 2 or KT400A setup :D

Tipycol

OP
Edward2

Edward2

That is definitely bizarre. The 117/29 is obviously using the 1/4 PCI divider, but I don't know why the CPU would show up as a 334MHz. Assuming your CPU is 667/133, the multiplier should be 5x which would give you 585 MHz.