• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unusual Back-up Problem for RAID-0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntmanMike

Hey there.

I just set up two new 1TiB Barracuda's in a stripeset for speed for my main drive, so I know have a RAID-0 (hardware/mobo) drive at 2TiB. I also have a second, backup/image drive that is a 1.5TB drive.

The partitions are as follows:

SIZE - FILE SYSTEM/ALLOCATION UNIT - NAME

200mb - NTFS/4K - System Partition (needed to have my 16K main drive)
4gb - FAT16/64K - Page Partition (Windows should span to the backup drive)
1.25tb - NTFS/16K - Windows 7
600gb - NTFS/4K - Development (source code, libraries, et cetera)

Now, given that it's a stripeset, I worry about losing my data in the Development partition. I like the added speed of RAID/0, as it helps with compiling large numbers of C files.

This is the partition table of the backup drive:

4gb - FAT16/64K - Page Partition
600gb - NTFS/4K - Development Backup
the rest is NTFS/32K (as they are mostly large image files)

Now, I am seeing that there are two things I can do:
Write a batch file that will quick format my backup partition and robocopy everything over to it from my development partition. Not terribly fast, but it would only need to be done every few days.

Convert both to dynamic discs, and mirror them. The problem I see is I will lose ALL speed benefits from my stripeset, since the second disk in the mirror is definitely NOT a stripeset.

Any other suggestions?

Back