• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upcoming Technology

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
OK, I've been wondering for a while as to exactly what the Barton is. I thought that if I read enough of the front page, I'd eventually get an idea, but aparently not :)

So, anybody care to explain to me what the Barton is and how it pertains to the staircase up to the Hammer??

JigPu

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Barton

Barton will be the last Athlon XP (socket A) CPU. It'll have a core similar to the Tbred B and clock speed around the same as 2600+ and 2700+, though the initial models will be 2800+ and 3000+ if current specs are accurate. The Barton core will be larger (and probably cooler) than the Thoroughbred or Palomino XP as it accomodates 512 L2 cache and its own memory controller. The integrated memory controller can be used or can be overidden and the motherboard northbridge used instead. Current rumor says the integrated controller provides huge memory bandwidth, but limits overclocking.

NookieN

Re: Barton

Arkaine23 said:
The Barton core will be larger (and probably cooler) than the Thoroughbred or Palomino XP as it accomodates 512 L2 cache and its own memory controller. The integrated memory controller can be used or can be overidden and the motherboard northbridge used instead. Current rumor says the integrated controller provides huge memory bandwidth, but limits overclocking.

Hmm, an IMC on Barton? I haven't heard such rumors anywhere. Seems like that would steal most of the thunder from Hammer.

Also, 512k L2 will increase the die area, but it also means an extra 10+ W of heat generation. I wouldn't expect it to be cooler than TbredB's.

Cowboy X

The integrated memory controller is a Hammer feature and not barton . Barton is just a T'brd with 512k cache and a lager hopefully cooler core . It was to use SOI ( silicon on isulator ) tech which would allow even higher clock speeds at lower voltage but this was scrapped .

Hammer is a totally new chip on a different socket , integrated memory controller and 64 bit ability . As Arkaine said the Barton wil be the last of the sockt A CPUs .

EDIT : The plan is for Barton to be the stop gap before the Hammer and be the low price/mainstream chip when Hammer is released .

Last edited: