• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updated Abit BD7-Raid and TH7II-Raid Bios. Get them here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I said ddr to correct an earlier post that said a dual memory bus was why rdram was rated 800mhz. The real reason is rdram is DDR.

first 100mhz X quad multiplier = 400mhz memory bus

then X 2 for DDR = 800mhz effective speed.

multiply that by the 16 bit bus of a rdram module and you get 1.6GB/s of bandwidth. (16bits * 800mhz * 1byte / 8bits)

the i850 chipset (among others) has a dual memory bus or 2 X 1.6GB/s for a total bandwidth of 3.2GB per second ;)

Doc

also i would like to point out @ 400mhz = the rdram chips would have to be rated at 2.5ns...

Just an update on my using MR Natural,s 39c Bios...So far so GOOD!!:D

A slight increase in FSB speed and higher stability when at the limit of my CPU ( around 3ghz).

NO cold boot at this stage, used to happen every now and again with the 77bios.

Now able to select 2.2v ( have vid pins 1-4 joined) without the overvoltage protection cutting in!!:)

Again...So far so good!!

Mr Natural...A BIG thumbs up!!:)

what is a cold boot exactly. i tried to boot to 2700, with the divider set, 6x differential, rambus at 300, and no go, it will post, but after post, i get a blinking cursor at the top of screen. i think i need to do the vrambus mod. will do today and hope for more mgz.:D

LarryJoe, I have not tried any of Mr. Natural's tweaked BIOS files yet. Been working on building a couple boxes for people and troubleshooting a friend's system lately, so no time lately to play with my Northy. :( But, I've been following along and plan on trying the 39C BIOS soon. I do have the BIOS file downloaded already. Was also sort of letting others be the beta testers before trying it myself...lol.

RhoXS, I also had similar problems getting my memory bus to run stable at 4X (400 setting) above 125 FSB. Then I installed an extra 80mm fan to blow air directly onto the DRCG chips and the RDRAM modules. I can now push the RAM as high as 533 MHz. The RAM, ICS chip, system, and even CPU temps all dropped. I think the DRCG chips and RIMM slots sit too close CPU heatsink. Plus those RDRAM modules do get warm. Check out this link that explains all this in greater detail.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=73334

Last edited:
bios question

I have the Abit TH7-II non raid version. Can I use your bios still? or Do I need a different version?

Thanks.

Batboy, thanks. I do appreciate the information. I think you certainly are correct about the high RDRAM temps. I am going to copy your idea and use a fan to blow directly on the memory.

Re: bios question

Kaane said:
I have the Abit TH7-II non raid version. Can I use your bios still? or Do I need a different version?

Thanks.

Yes sir :)
I'm running the TH7II non-raid and using MrNatural's 39c just fine :D

Thanks batboy. I was doing the same thing in terms of letting the other folks be beta testers. I was actually waiting for you to try it for your valued opinion.

I may take the plunge this weekend. I too have been too busy to get involved with another Saturday of overclocking. This stuff gets addictive and my family will shoot me if waste another day rebooting over, and over and over..............:)

LarryJoe said:
Thanks batboy. I was doing the same thing in terms of letting the other folks be beta testers. I was actually waiting for you to try it for your valued opinion.

I may take the plunge this weekend. I too have been too busy to get involved with another Saturday of overclocking. This stuff gets addictive and my family will shoot me if waste another day rebooting over, and over and over..............:)

Well guys. So far I have heard from close to 100 users over several forums and through Es and PMs and pretty much all (2 or 3 not totaly happy) have said nothing but praises for the new revision on both boards. Just got another telling me it has resolved his Code 26 Cold Boot problem plus has gotten another 12mhz or so in his FSB settings.

So if you are waiting for everyone to test then you will probably be using it when I release another version and we don't won't to be late bloomers now do we?:D

I like this talk of another version Mr N:)
Has Abit anounced if they will release an 850E chipset based updated board yet? If they do they'd probably use newer drcg's and other updated bits n pieces that make up the TH7II. I believe I read that Asus will.

MrNatural said:

Well guys. So far I have heard from close to 100 users over several forums and through Es and PMs and pretty much all (2 or 3 not totaly happy) have said nothing but praises for the new revision on both boards. Just got another telling me it has resolved his Code 26 Cold Boot problem plus has gotten another 12mhz or so in his FSB settings.

So if you are waiting for everyone to test then you will probably be using it when I release another version and we don't won't to be late bloomers now do we?:D

Mr. Natural, when do you plan on having a new version, I am so ready to build my Northwood system, but am waiting to purchase my CPU. I am waiting on next week when Intel will cut prices, good time to be a patient person considering I have everything else already, and was wondering if you will have a new one out by then. Thanks.

Enigma422 said:

Mr. Natural, when do you plan on having a new version, I am so ready to build my Northwood system, but am waiting to purchase my CPU. I am waiting on next week when Intel will cut prices, good time to be a patient person considering I have everything else already, and was wondering if you will have a new one out by then. Thanks.

Go ahead and use the 39c. It's going to be a little while before i make any new changes.

MrNatural said:

Well, I must say I'm VERY disappointed, Mr Natural.

I have been running your 39C bios on two test rigs here and neither of them has crashed once..:mad:

This is just not good enough, sir !!

I even managed to get both of them to run FASTER than before :eek: :eek:

Would you please make sure that your next bios upgrade is as reliable as an ABIT one, so that I can at least have something to fix !!!

Thank you.

Rainman. [aka: Friar Tuck] :)

OK Mr. Natural, I flashed. I'll report back with the results. Thanks for all your hard work.

LOL,

Raiman your right, what nerve that Mr. Natural has in putting out a bios that doesn't match ABIT's standards. I am running his 39C and his Modified Bios for the BD7 and both are rock solid compared to the official released.

:)

Back