• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updated - project chronic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevtheredmufc

Registered
Upgrading the following system

cmstacker case
600w FSP blue storm PSU
2gig ddr2 6400 PNY
Nforce 750 sli XFX mobo
Q6600
geforce 9800GT 512mb xfx

To

Corsair obsidian 800D
1000w Zalman heatpipe cooled silent PSU (modular)
4 x 2gig ddr2 8500 corsair dominator
2 x XFX geforce 285GTX's
1 x WD 160gb raptorx
3 x 500gb WD caviars

What do you lor reckon?

I f anyone is interested i'll have a mobo, cpu, ram, case, power supply and dvd burner for sale next week.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Nice upgrade...Welcome!

1. Love the case, mine is en route.
2. 1000W PSU? For what? Save some money and get Corsair 850TX/HX if you want modular
3. 64bit OS I presume for that 8GB of ram?
4. What resolution are you running for your monitor??
5. I sure hope that Q6600 is in the 3.5Ghz range to push those cards you have now!!!
6. One cannot sell outside the classifieds, and in fact you cant even see the classy's yet!!! (I would remove that out of your post. I was infracted for stating something similar my 2nd day at this site).

OP
kevtheredmufc

kevtheredmufc

Registered
Nice upgrade...Welcome!

1. Love the case, mine is en route.
2. 1000W PSU? For what? Save some money and get Corsair 850TX/HX if you want modular
3. 64bit OS I presume for that 8GB of ram?
4. What resolution are you running for your monitor??
5. I sure hope that Q6600 is in the 3.5Ghz range to push those cards you have now!!!
6. One cannot sell outside the classifieds, and in fact you cant even see the classy's yet!!! (I would remove that out of your post. I was infracted for stating something similar my 2nd day at this site).

Monitor is at its native res, 24" samsung.

Yes, 64bit win 7 ultimate.

1000w, im totally future proof no matter what i decide to do.

Q6600 tops out at 3.4ghz with a zalman cooler, so with the new cooling setup i hope it'll go a bit further.

The case is my dream case, i utterly adore it!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Mine too (dream case). Its arriving today as a matter of fact! I just need the time to drain teh loop and put everything back together!

You are likely at 1920x1200/1080. One GTX285/HD4890/HD5870 could have handled that but, heck, this is OCF, no such thing as overkill I guess!!! :)

Post pix or it never happened! :santa: :beer:

OP
kevtheredmufc

kevtheredmufc

Registered
Mine too (dream case). Its arriving today as a matter of fact! I just need the time to drain teh loop and put everything back together!

You are likely at 1920x1200/1080. One GTX285/HD4890/HD5870 could have handled that but, heck, this is OCF, no such thing as overkill I guess!!! :)

Post pix or it never happened! :santa: :beer:

Oh, there will be pics!! *dribbles*

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Im curious why you chose the case while on air cooling (made for water, not great, but not terrible for air)... or are you moving to water with this upgrade as well?

OP
kevtheredmufc

kevtheredmufc

Registered
Im curious why you chose the case while on air cooling (made for water, not great, but not terrible for air)... or are you moving to water with this upgrade as well?

I just loved it, my old rig was on water, i have a rad, pump, and a cpu block (ek), so eventually ill buy some chipset/vrm blocks, res etc, but ive got to fork out for the kids xmas pressies first!!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Save that money for chipset/VRM blocks... not needed where you are going (hell its not needed where I am at!!!). Get the kids better presents knowing you dont have to spend that money. :)

OP
kevtheredmufc

kevtheredmufc

Registered
Save that money for chipset/VRM blocks... not needed where you are going (hell its not needed where I am at!!!). Get the kids better presents knowing you dont have to spend that money. :)

If it turns out i REALLY dont need the extra gpu, i may sell it.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
@ 1920x1200/1080, you should be able to play anything under the sun, even crysis. personally, if I was you, I would sell BOTH cards and get a HD5870 (which trades punches with GTX295). Then you can spend even MORE money on your kids for the Holiday's!!!! :)

PS - I forgot to mention I love the name of your build. ;)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Who cares, its not a real game :)!!! In all seriousness, I know in 06 you will be held back significantly by the CPU score as its part of that equation. You really need some beef to get the most out of SLI/Crossfire 3.4Ghz just wont do it.