• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade: A64 3200+, Asus A8V D, 6600GT, 2x512 G.Skill, Antec Neo ... Comments?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePimpulator

Well, I guess my P3 700 and V5500 just can't hack it anymore. Gunna have to put it down or let it enjoy its twilight years as some kind of server. Havent really paid much attention to hardware for the four or five years I had that system so I have been cramming at a couple of sites for the last two or three days.

Regarding my usage, I do a little of this and a little of that. I dont specialize in anything. I will do some gaming, a mix of genres. Im not a big FPSer fan. Im more into mystery stuff, adventure stuff, RPG. I will probably try out the Doom 3s, Farcrys, and HL2s, but I dont need them maxed out. I dont think theyll keep me hooked for more than one play through, if I like them at all. Other than that I will watch the occasional movie/TV show. I will use various other apps, nothing too demanding. Some Office. I play a lot of poker online at partypoker. Would like to run two instances of their program at the same time playing four tables on each instance. Stuff like that. No vid encoding or anything like that.

Tell me what ya think:

A64 3200+
Asus A8V Deluxe
G.skill (Samsung TCCD) 2 x 512MB PC-4400, Model F1-3200DSU2-1GBLD

Ill OC as much as the A64 will allow with stock HSF. If I dont get very far im not too concerned.

XFX 6600GT AGP
Antec NeoPower 480
Hitachi 80GB SATA
Was going to get raptor but didnt think the price was justified for my usage. This will replace some 30GB IBM (for which I dont remember the specs) as my OS drive. I have a couple of 200GB WDSEs for storage.

As for sound, Im lost. I dont know what I have right now. Some cheapo card I think. But a friend says sound tech for my needs hasnt really moved much from the SB Live! days. Is this true? I read in some thread that a guy is just going to rely on his mobo's on board sound. Is that something I can do? Will I know what direction a sound is coming from in a game? Ill be using SENNHEISER PX 100 headphones for games.

Thoughts, comments, explainations, mockery, anything you can spare please. :santa: Not too concerned about future proofing. As you can gather, by time I get round to upgrading again ill have to replace the whole lot anyway. Only had two systems in the last 10 years. Celery 300A and a p3 700.

Thanks boys and girls,

ThePimpulator.

Rather than the neopower, I would suggest a Fortron 430. As for a soundcard, onboard is better than most of teh lower SB live options. That system will definitely allow you to do what you want and then some. As for the memory, just go for value 3200, as your not going to be doing any exxtreme overclocking PC-4400 isnt needed.

Welcome to the forums!!

Make that a Fortron 530 :D
Thermalright SKL948U (XP120 may be too big for this mobo) and some arctic silver 5. Good mobo!

Good Luck!

Super Nade said:
Welcome to the forums!!

Well thank you. Although I must point out I was here half a year before you :D

And thanks for the comments both of you. Seems you both think a different PS is in order. Will have to look at this now.

ThePimpulator.

Back