• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Burner Time....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sammy5gs

Hey All...

Alright. I have been dealing with my current burner, which is an old Philips CRW800 (32x8x4). It has been doing yeoman's work for the past three years, and I am now contemplating upgrading.

I have my eyes on the Lite-On (52x24x52), and outside of the obvious enhanced speeds on CDR/RW, would there be any other reason to upgrade at this point. I don't do a lot of burning, as my main use is for gaming, but I just wanted to get a clear idea.

Also, I have seen the combo DVD-ROM/CDROM/CDR/CDRW drives out there as well, but I do not watch DVDs on my PC, nor have I seen many games that take advantage of the DVD capabilities.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Xevuhtess7

dude 32x is perfectly fast.... i have had 24x and im still satisfied. my suggestion is to wait until bluelaser becomes a little more mainstream and dvd burner prices drop, get one of those. thats my plan at least. it's pretty much up to you.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
I use a 24x and its just fine (well, 24 because the Sony DVD burner writes CD-Rs at 24) but its plenty fast as well..plus finding 52x and 56x CDs are sometimes difficult. If you dont do a lot of burning, then ya, no reason to upgrade

AllenSmoker

Yes 32x is plenty fast, BUT he has an 8x burner without burnproof.

Best bet is to get one of the liteon 52x's at newegg for $50, or catch one of the $10 after rebate sales. Depending on the brand it can be a liteon drive inside.

Or you can wait for other devices to become avalible. Plextor has a 52x32x52 drive that can record 1gb to a standard cdr, and sanyo is bringing out a chipset that can record 1.4 gigs to standard cdr's. Compatibility with older drives varies tho.

OP
sammy5gs

sammy5gs

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I apologize for the screw-up of the numbers. I read at 32x, Write at 8x, and Re-Write at 4x.

Again, this is great info. Thanks!!!

Xevuhtess7

AllenSmoker said:
Plextor has a 52x32x52 drive that can record 1gb to a standard cdr, and sanyo is bringing out a chipset that can record 1.4 gigs to standard cdr's. Compatibility with older drives varies tho.

wow i didnt know that. how is that possible? (not to hijack the thread)

and yeah, 8x calls for an upgrade. i'd go with a lite-on from newegg.

penquissciguy

AllenSmoker said:
Yes 32x is plenty fast, BUT he has an 8x burner without burnproof.

Best bet is to get one of the liteon 52x's at newegg for $50, or catch one of the $10 after rebate sales. Depending on the brand it can be a liteon drive inside.

I also have to agree - LiteOn from Newegg is an awful sweet choice. Burn Proof or something similar is a must. The upgrade from my 4x Iomega burner (what a mistake... ) to my 32x LiteOn was certainly a breath of fresh air. Get some nice quality media to go with it (I like Sony and TDK myself), and you'll be happy.

Ken