• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Dilemma, Need Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kasm

I am having a hard time deciding what to do, so I figured I would ask people that understand :)

The two systems I have now:

Desktop:
Windows 7
i5-750
ATI HD4850
4 GB Ram
32GB SSD Boot Drive
1 TB Data Drive

Laptop:
Windows Vista
T3400 (Crappy, I know)
Integrated graphics
3 GB Ram
200 GB 5400 RPM HD

Both systems work fine, but I am getting frustrated by their compromises. I like using the desktop for games, but due to life changes, I don't get to use it much anymore, plus it is getting old for the new games. The laptop works fine for normal non-gaming stuff. So these are the options I see.

1) Upgrade Desktop to larger SSD boot drive (getting annoyed at having to manage installation locations); replace 4850 with 6000 or 7000 series. Upgrade laptop to SSD, get 4 GB ram even though only .5 more will be used (is this true even when video memory is shared?) Install windows 8.

Pros: Desktop plays newer games without having to pay $$$ for new MB and CPU. Not sure if new CPU would even make sense Bang for Buck wise. Laptop becomes more bearable.

Cons: Still limited desktop time, laptop still can't play games. Is it worth paying $200 to upgrade 4 year old laptop when I can get a new one for $500-600? But that $500-600 still won't be able to play games so what is the point?

2) Upgrade desktop, buy new lower end laptop
Pros: Desktop is better. Laptop becomes more bearable.
Cons: Still limited desktop time, laptop still can't play games. $500-600 laptop still won't be able to play games so what is the point?

3) Do nothing now, Pony up and buy gaming laptop when possible
Pros: gaming everywhere!
Cons: Doesn’t solve anything immediately. Horrible bang for buck. Not upgradable. It is hard to find gaming laptops with latest graphics. Throwing away perfectly good hardware.

4) Upgrade computers to get extra few years, and then replace both with gaming laptop.
Pros: Gaming laptop that can play 1920x1080 might be cheaper.
Cons: Throwing away perfectly good hardware. Not upgradeable

Problem with gaming laptops for me is that they come fully loaded with all the bells and whistles at a premium charge. I don’t need massive amounts of SSD storage (I have NAS), etc. I just want the latest video. Plus I don’t see laptops available long after their lifecycle starts. If I wait a few years until they have mastered say… 4000x3000, I might not be able to find excellent 1920x1080 laptop anymore and will have to pay a premium for performance I don’t need.

So that is my dilemma, what would you do? You can add anything I didn’t think off. Anyone know of bare-bones laptops with user selectable cpu and gpu?

there is another option as well,you could look for someone selling a i7 laptop used that has a dedicated videocard,ether here in the classifieds,craigslist,ebay. im sure someone would part with one for for under 600 by now.

Back