• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade from a Quad Core Q8200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infinity06

Registered
I am planning a new system build and i wanted to see what people thought would be the best bang for the buck.

Right now i have a Q8200 / Gigabyte P35C-DS3R setup and i am looking for a serious improvement without just plucking the most expensive everything.

Personally i would rather overclock then just buy the latest and greatest processor if that means anything.

Any ideas are appreciated. :)

Brutal-Force

Well IMO the Q8200 wasn't the best for OCing because of the lower multipliers.

Best Processor really depends on what you do. If its purely for gaming, the i3s are about to hit the shelf and they look like buffed up Dual Cores that will Hyperthread, giving you the performance of a Quad, while OCing upwards of 4+GHz. On a 1156 platform the motherboards will vary from around 100-200 dollars. And the chips from 140 for i3s up to 200 for i5s. The ram will probably be what sets you back as much as the motherboards. 4 Gigs of decent ram will cost you 100 dollars. So..... for about 350-400 dollars you can do an upgraded system to a newer platform.

ON THE OTHER HAND. I have a i5 750 system. I upgraded from a 3.6 GHz Overclock on a Q6600. I would say the i5 running at 3.6 with Turbo Boost (which goes up to 4.3GHz) when needed runs at about a 30% improved speed. Unless 30% is worth 400 bones to you, then you might be better off going with a New or Used Q9550 as they will be starting to be dumped soon. I would say an OC Q9550 is about on par with a OC i5, with one exception: the i5 uses less power and runs way cooler. Because of Turbo Boost and EIST,